News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Grand National-- tell me about it.

Started by curly, December 18, 2014, 12:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

curly

As someone who hasn't been to a GN for Cadillac or any other make, I don't know what it is about.  A car show, obviously, but what sets it apart from other shows?  I'm close enough to Vegas to make the 2016 GN and I am thinking of attending (without the car). Is the general public allowed to view the cars or just registered members? How about non-CLC cadillac owners? Please share some of the things to see and do at a GN.

Thanks

T Lewis

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

At a CLC GN, you will see some of the finest examples of Cadillac & LaSalle in the world to drivers/projects under construction and everything between. Exhibits usually consist of around 300 cars +/- . Show day is Saturday but many cars will be on display throughout the duration of the event.

Supposedly admittance is limited to CLC members; I do not recall whether there are any entry charges for non participants, which would be near impossible to enforce anyway.

For die hard Cadillac fans, it's the closest thing to heaven on Earth.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

76eldo

There are tours of historic places in the area, tech seminars, meetings and many opportunities to talk to other Cadillac owners with cars like yours.

Bus trips, dinners, and just hanging out in the parking lot in the evenings looking at the cars.

You will not be bored, plus in Vegas you can find plenty to do at night.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Walter Youshock

Cadillacs are like potato chips--you can't have just one.

Grand Nationals are the same.  Go once and you may never want to miss another.  Like Hershey.  Only all Cadillac and Lasalle!
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: curly on December 18, 2014, 12:40:23 PM
As someone who hasn't been to a GN for Cadillac or any other make, I don't know what it is about.  A car show, obviously, but what sets it apart from other shows?  I'm close enough to Vegas to make the 2016 GN and I am thinking of attending (without the car). Is the general public allowed to view the cars or just registered members? How about non-CLC cadillac owners? Please share some of the things to see and do at a GN.

Thanks

T Lewis

We just started archiving the GN info this year, so people can look back at the GN over the years.  One of a number of reasons was to answer questions such as yours  ;)  Also makes it easier so you don't have to hunt and search for previous years.  (I was webmaster for GN in 2014). 

Public can see show on Sat.  I actually got a lot of questions asking about the Sat show from non-members.  (lost the 100+ questions/comments on the site when archiving, but will try to preserve with the CLC Webmaster next year)

http://gn2014.cadillaclasalleclub.org/

CLC member Jason Edge took many picture and you can see on "Gallery" tab.

I'll probably make Vegas, but don't think Wisconsin, but happy to assist them too :)

Oh, and it's a great time! I just started going in Boston 2013.  In 2014, made it a two week vacation, brought the family/kids and they enjoyed the tours. 

Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

chrisntam

Is it better to bring your Cadillac than not?   ::)   If you drive it, does that limit you as to what you can do/where you can go?  Or do people drive them and not really "enter" their cars, but they are in the parking lot?  In other words, should you have two cars, one to "enter" and show, the other to drive around?
Give us a run down of a day's schedule.  I guess we (I) don't know enough about it to ask the right questions......
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

The Tassie Devil(le)

It is part of the experience to drive your own Cadillac, or bring someone elses' if you don't have one yourself, and there is no compulsion to leave the car parked in the same spot for the whole event.   BUT, you have to be a registered entrant to get your place in the "arena".

You will be issued a numbered parking spot on the Show Field (Car Park) and that is yours for the whole event.   

You can come and go as you please, and enjoy the whole event, including the surrounding areas, in your own car.   The main thing is to have it parked for the Judging Day, so that it can be judged, and the Public have a chance to see all the cars entered, in one spot.

Plus, when you drive back to the host hotel, you have a secure and guarded place to park your pride and joy.

In 2008 in Cherry Hill, I used my car as a virtual taxi on occasions, and loved every minute of it.

In 2002, there was no need to use my car, which was a non-Cadillac, as I attended every tour and event that I could.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Dan LeBlanc

I made the journey with the 61 and was glad I did.  We were going to trailer it down, but decided against it figuring it wasn't that far (about 600mi each way) and I wanted to do one road trip with it.  We took all the back roads to Lake George - just like it would've been done before the Interstate System, and had a great time.  We stayed at the host hotel (highly recommended) and had a fantastic time.  When we did need to leave to run to the store, etc, we had no problem coming and going with the 61

IMHO, the best way to do a GN.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

76eldo

I have only attended two GN's, Boston and Lake George.
In the past when I owned Packards I went to many Nationals including the 100 th anniversary e e t I. 1999 in Warren, Ohio.

There is an area that I feel can be improved with the CLC Grand Nationals and that is the venues for the actual show.

It's a bit bland and boring to me to just park your car in the parking lot of the hotel and hold the show there. Many people park their cars and don't touch them until after the show which is their choice.

The Packard Club always finds a beautiful historic site or school campus or park like setting to showcase the cars and park them so that they can be displayed and photographed in a nice setting.
I'd much prefer that than the parking lot of the host hotel.
It takes more effort and planning but it also adds a requirement that all show cars must be driven to the concours event so the car has to be a runner not just an art object.

In Boston the traffic was really bad and you had to get on a congested highway to go anywhere so most opted to leave the cars sit and go on bus tours. Not a bad option for Boston.

At Lake George I knew it would be scenic and there would be more driving opportunities and to me it made the event more enjoyable.

Meeting a lot of Cadillac people is always the best part and we had a great time at all of the car functions we have attended. If you are a Cadillac enthusiast I would highly recommend going to the national events.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Bill Young

I have attended the 1994 GN in Albany New York and the 2011 in Columbus Ohio. If You can attend I believe you will really enjoy the experience. I also belong to a site called " The 1961 and 1962 Cadillac Owners Club " Dan is a Member also. A GREAT site with super People and a lot of fellowship. A bunch of us all attended the 2011 Show and on the first night all went trunk to tail out to dinner at a Quaker Steak and Lube. The restaurant reserved a parking lot for our '61 and '62's and we took photos of us all together and with our Cars. " photo's on the site". You will also meet folks who are vendors for parts for our Cars and see Cars that otherwise don't see the light of day.

chrisntam

What about the wives?  What do they do?  Mine would tag along and that's about it.  She sees the car as a mode of transportation to get from A to B and not as an event as we do.  And there are no cup holders in my '70.   I'd think she'd quickly become bored while attending tech sessions and meetings.  She prolly would like the touring part of it and maybe to see all the cars.  Kinda like me at a quilt show.  I'd go to support her, but it would blow, big time.  Do some leave wives at home and tell them it's doods only?
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

As mentioned, there are a number of activities scheduled for each day throughout the event - except show day Saturday, IIRC - some of which are planned expressly for the ladies.

Event details & schedule are posted a year in advance of the GN in the Self Starter. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

76eldo

My wife is not really that much into the cars either. With the tours available and as mentioned some activities more interesting  for the wives, she had a great time.

I'd suggest getting involved with your local region. If you make some friends in the region that are going to the GN you will have some people to hang around with.

When our kids were little I went to the Packard meets with friends and my wife did not attend so she could be home with the kids.

Everyone is different but overall is say the GN is well worth the cost and a nice way to spend a week.

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Dan LeBlanc

Mine spent the week at the host hotel relaxing and tanning by the pool. She also booked a spa day at a spa up the road. It was like she died and went to heaven.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Bill Young

With regard to the cup holder thing. We bought two of those black plastic molded floor units from an auto parts store that have 2 adjustable cup holders and storage space also. We have one in the '61 and one in the '62.

The Tassie Devil(le)

I know I am getting off the subject, but what is this fascination with regards to Cup Holders?

Don't people know that it is illegal to drink and drive?   It isn't just related to Alcohol.   Even Coffee makes a horrible mess when it is spilt.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Glen

One thing I have not seen mentioned here is you must be a member of the CLC to register, go on the tours, and attend the Welcome party and the Saturday banquet where the awards are given out.  As a member of the CLC you are also eligible for the reduced rate at the host hotel. 

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

bcroe

I'm going to try and get my 79 Eldo "yellow car" to the 2015.  The 79 incorporates everything
I have ever talked about here.  Its close enough to just drive over days.  Bruce Roe

Steve Passmore

Quote from: Glen on December 21, 2014, 12:51:07 AM
One thing I have not seen mentioned here is you must be a member of the CLC to register, go on the tours, and attend the Welcome party and the Saturday banquet where the awards are given out.  As a member of the CLC you are also eligible for the reduced rate at the host hotel.

I was surprised this was not pointed out too as the OP does not seem to be a member.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Glen

To give you an idea of what happens at he GN I have attached a copy of an old registration form. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104