News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'79 Phaeton canvas top - how to protect it?

Started by Benzilla, December 23, 2014, 10:58:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benzilla

Sorry if this is the wrong section, I'm not sure where to post detailing questions.

Just bought a Phaeton that's been garaged, and the top is basically as new. However, I'm very concerned about UV rays getting to it. It's going to be under a uv blocking car cover as much as possible, but I'm adamant about keeping this top from aging. What's the best product to block uv rays & condition it? I'm mostly concerned about the stitching & the piping around the windows pulling out. The piping appears to be vinyl?

I've heard mainly of three products: Raggtopp, 303 convertible top kit, and surf city's "top end" cleaner/protectant. On my last phaeton, I tried the Raggtopp protectant, but it didn't last long (maybe I needed more coats), but more importantly the aerosol application was a pain in the butt, overspray got everywhere, and I felt like I wasted much of it. Also tried the "top end" on my last phaeton, but after it dried, I couldn't tell anything had been done, and could only guess at the actual protection it provided from uv rays.

Am I supposed to avoid silicone products?

A friend of mine used linseed oil and tire wet on his... The top looked nice and dark, but I'm worried about the long-term effects of any of this. Could anybody recommend anything based on experience?

Thanks!

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The factory Phaeton top material is cloth, not vinyl as with most traditional convertible tops and recommendations for treating vinyl type roofs should NOT be used on a Cadillac with the factory Phaeton roof and absolutely avoid any petroleum based products, silicones, oils, Armor All or any "shine" products of any kind! 

These roofs require very little by way of maintenance; all that needs to be done is to keep exposure to sunlight at a minimum and periodic washings (only as needed).

Personally, I hold very little belief in ScotchGuard and other aftermarket "protectants" intended for fabric as I have seen little improvement of resistance to sun damage on materials so treated.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

936CD69

I cleaned the black CLOTH phaeton top on my 93 with Raggtopp cleaner then did the protectant. As was yours, the car was garage stored since new but still quite dirty. Yes it's a PITA to apply but well worth the effort IMHO. Another tip? I use a Scotch clothing lint removal roller to take off lint etc, works like a charm! get the kind that has the tear off sheets......

I use 303 products on the other 93 with the white diamondpoint vinyl phaeton top...

HTH

Craig
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I've never heard of Raggtopp but so long as it's specified for use on cloth, no problem.

I've seen cloth tops that looked as if they had leprosy as a result of improper detailing products.   
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

936CD69

Ben (and Eric!)

Raggtopp products by Wolfstein are the only products Haartz recommends for use on their Cambria cloth tops. Haartz manufactures the material GM has used on their convertible and Phaeton tops for many years, both cloth and vinyl versions. BTW, 303 products are incredible on regular vinyl tops and interiors, very clean, not greasy, and just a nice soft sheen like new vinyl would have. great to clean and preserve weatherstrips, too

PS I have NO financial interest in any of these companies , although I have "invested" heavily in their products :'(
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302