News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

365 cam

Started by Matt Ferrall, December 19, 2014, 11:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Ferrall

does anyone have a recommendation on an upgrade cam for my 365?
Thanks

Jon S

Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Scot Minesinger

Matt,

I'm with Jon, it will never be a racer.  The original was decent and made it run smooth.  Plus the metallurgy is always suspect on replacement engine parts.  Remember reading a few years back about how the rockers on an original 365 ward hard to scratch with a file, and the replacements were mild steel, and like butter against a file.  Heat treating properly is expensive (molten salt baths).  It is a step most often skipped by cheap reproduction part manufacturers that goes unnoticed until 250 miles pass by.  There I go being pessimistic and suspicious of classic car service providers, I guess because their success rate is so low.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Matt Ferrall

Thank you for the advice. I figured since I'm going through the engin again I would do some upgrades. I will stick with the original.
Thanks again.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Matt,
If you REALLY  want to consider a camshaft upgrade, I would suggest you contact Iskenderian Cams.  Ed Iskenderian ground thousands of cams for Cadillacs back before small block chevys were the engine swap of choice.  If you tell them exactly what you are looking for they might be able to help.  Would also suggest trying the "Modified Chapter" forum.  http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/forum/ I am sure there might be experienced advice there as well.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Matt Ferrall

Thanks a lot Greg! I will give them a call Monday.  8)

Tlentz

Matt, I did a had a performance grind upgrade done on my 64'.  After all was said and done, I have a classic cadillac with a lope at idle, and I sacrificed some vacuum, and I had to get creative with the timing.  She wants to run at 20 degrees advanced but I just cant let her, So far Im at 10 degrees btc and constantly listening for noises.  If I would do it again I would have stayed stock.  I couldnt imagine what the benefit would be for a 365, or more importantly what you are sacrificing.  With every benefit, there is a sacrifice. 
Cheers,
Todd Lentz
1941 Cadillac 6319D
1964 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1950 Chevy Styline Special
5 Crazy Kids

Matt Ferrall

Thanks Tlentz. I heard back from the machine shop today. They said the cam is still within specks and they can reuse it. I'm pretty happy about that.
Matt

Tlentz

I know this is late, but that is great news.  Keep us informed on your progress!
Cheers,
Todd Lentz
1941 Cadillac 6319D
1964 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1950 Chevy Styline Special
5 Crazy Kids