News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Were power door locks an option on a 1956 Cadillac?

Started by carguyblack, December 30, 2014, 06:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carguyblack

I recently read an ad for an Eldorado that was for sale stating it had power door locks. Never heard of such a bird. Could anyone let me know if this is fact?
Thanks,
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Never heard such a thing on a '56.

First year for power locks was 1959.*

Pictures?

*Not including Eldorado Brougham.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Jon S

I thought '56 had vacuum power door locks?  1958 had electric door locks (optional).
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

936CD69

first mention of availability in the data books for the "standard" cars is 58. I did not check the 57 Brougham book...
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

dplotkin

No power door locks, vacuum or otherwise, were offered on any 1956 Cadillac automobile from the factory.

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

Jon S

But the real Eldorado news for 1957 and 1958 was the introduction of the legendary hand-built Brougham four-door. America's first true pillarless four-door and the first car to feature quad headlamps, it carried the astounding sticker price of $13,074 in 1957. Filled with equipment that was then novel (air suspension, memory seats, cruise control, electric antenna, electric door locks, remote trunk lid opener), the Eldorado Brougham was spectacular in almost every way. Just 400 Broughams would be built as 1957s and 304 as '58s, and along with the 1953, are the most collectible cars ever to wear the Eldorado name.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Walter Youshock

No cruise control in '57  or '58 brougham.  It was a 1959 option.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Coupe Deville

For what it's worth my friends 1962 Fleetwood has vaccum door locks on all four doors.
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Bill Young

Cadillac went back and forth on the electric vs. vacuum door lock thing. The 1968 Cadillacs had vacuum locks with the exception of a few of the end of production '68 Sedan DeVille's prior to the switch over to 1969's that had electric locks.

Jon S

The answer is 1957 with the Eldorado Brougham:

1957 - The Eldorado Brougham introduced the first quad headlamps, six-way power seats with memory, automatic door locks, forged aluminum wheels and an air suspension.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Jon S on December 30, 2014, 09:21:51 PM

1957 - The Eldorado Brougham introduced the first quad headlamps, six-way power seats with memory, automatic door locks, forged aluminum wheels and an air suspension.
The answer is more complex: when the gear selector is put out of "P", the rear door are electrically locked. Indeed, the inside handle is disconnected (I never checked if they can be opened from outside but I assume it's the case).
There is a small button in the center of the lock levers on the front door. By pushing that button, all four door are electrically locked, however, each door must be manualy unlocked.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

carguyblack

Thanks for all the input on this one! It's amazing how even among those who own these cars, how mistakes can roll off the fingers as fact when one is putting an ad together. "a/c, power windows, power locks...." all seems to be mentioned out of habit in the same breath. I'm sure the ad I was looking at had that happen. Everything else in the ad seemed so correct and detailed that it had me wondering, which led to this post. Thanks again for the cool info!
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1989 Bonneville SSE

Tito Sobrinho

Jon wrote:

1957 - The Eldorado Brougham introduced the first quad headlamps

You meant for the Cadilllac cars and not for the industry.
Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.

Jon S

Yes, for Cadillac. Packard had them in 1956 and others long before that.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Tito Sobrinho on January 05, 2015, 10:45:51 PM
Jon wrote:

1957 - The Eldorado Brougham introduced the first quad headlamps

You meant for the Cadilllac cars and not for the industry.
The use of Quad Lights in Cadillacs caused the USA Regulators to re-write the Automobile Laws, which allowed for these extra lights.

In 1957, one of the Chrysler Products had to replace their inner headlights with large Park Lights    Maybe the low production numbers for the Brougham allowed the continuation of Cadillac with the Quads for 1957.

Come 1958, everyone was using them

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Tito Sobrinho

The Chrysler product that you infer were the Plymouth and Dodge.

For 1957, the quad-lights were incorporate in the Nash, Chrysler, De Soto. Imperial, Lincoln and Mercury.
The Packard got its quad-light in 1958.
Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.

carguyblack

I did some checking because I'm fascinated about the power door locks talked about on the 1957 Eldorado Brougham. I've searched as many youtube videos and other sources to see if anyone pictured and described the door locks on that car. I understand they automatically engaged when the doors were closed and the transmission was shifted out of park. The other feature I'm interested in finding out about was the automatic starter on that car, too. Both fascinate me as first generation technology. I love the completely automatic trunk opener AND closer! Amazing! I'd love to connect with somebody who can inform my curiosity and perhaps even show me these features in operation.  Thanks for listening! (reading)
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1989 Bonneville SSE

Dave Ventresca

Chuck, the first automatic starters  weren't on the Brougham. They were optional on early 30's Packards. I have seen several of them. I believe it was called "Start-ex", or something like that.Dave

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: carguyblack on January 06, 2015, 09:55:47 PM
I did some checking because I'm fascinated about the power door locks talked about on the 1957 Eldorado Brougham. I understand they automatically engaged when the doors were closed and the transmission was shifted out of park.
Chuck, only the inside rear door handle are disconnected when the gear lever is out of park;this is to prevent the opening of a rear door while the car is moving forwards. The front doors are not locked.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101