News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1970 Cadillac climate control fix-easy-happy new year

Started by Scot Minesinger, January 01, 2015, 04:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

My Cadillac would not go into high fan (and often only low fan) unless battery voltage was connected directly to it.  Thought my flickering lights that are now fixed fried my climate control dash unit amp or transducer, and was all set to replace it while I have the dash apart replacing the brake booster.  During testing transducer and amp were good.  It was a bad connection on my fan relay.  Cleaned it up reconnected and high fan operates via dash control.  It may not seem like a big deal and it was not under light a/c or heat needs, but it was annoying.  Happy new year to an easy fix - this and other signs make me think 2015 will be quite bright!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

mgbeda

Nothing like that sigh of relief when you think something is really messed up and it turns out to be something simple and easy.  Congrats!

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Good for you.
I have been working with the a/c relay on mine tonite.  I was working before I pulled the engine but now it isn't.  I hear the relay firing, but it still won't switch.  I always just had to put it on hi be cause my transducer is shot and the engine kind used up my car budget until 2023 or so.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

TJ Hopland

Anyone figure a way to make these things actually control the climate?  Seems like mother nature could use one of Tim's repair manuals.  50 degree swings in a day or so has to be a stuck relay or something. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Scot Minesinger

Jeff,

There are ways to make the heat or a/c work full blast manually and it is controlled by turning it on and off manually.  Last winter my amp and transducer died.  I just put full vacuum on servo and turned heat on and off as needed.  For a/c just turn on and off because no vacuum to servo from controls means it operates in high a/c only.  Until your budget recovers you can run battery voltage to fan with fuse and switch-don't forget to turn off or battery dies.

PM me if you wish to pursue further.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty