News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Anyone installed heat shield or sound deadener in their car?

Started by chrisntam, January 04, 2015, 06:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

I'll be replacing carpet this winter and wonder if the foil backed sound deadener/heat shield stuff is worth the trouble.  I have a convertible and drive with the top down nearly all the time, so I really wonder what good sound deadener would do.  What I'd like to see is quieter tires.  It's a roar on the highway when cars are next to you.........
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

dplotkin

Your problem is that you've no roof. Cadillac cars of the late 60's & 70's had plenty of sound deadener above the headliner as well as in the floors and both bulkheads. But a convertible, essentially a canvass tent arranged atop the windows does a poor job of blocking wind and road noise, very much unlike the lined and ducks-ass seal of today's Mercedes, BMW or Audi convertible models.

Cadillac hardtops of your period were far quieter than convertibles, they were among the quietest cars extant. But they were not as quiet as today's S-Class or Lexus LS.

Dyna-Mat is a popular thermal barrier used on the floor of cars being restored. They have acoustical properties that make them worthwhile. I used it in my 61 Plymouth to quiet and cool down the floor from its Hi-Po 440 using headers. Not sure it would make much difference in your case. If you ever change your top, see if you can get a lined one.

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

russ austin

I use Lizard Skin.  2 separate products; heat barrier, and a sound barrier.  It sprays on with a spray gun.
R.Austin

Scot Minesinger

On one of my Cadillacs ( a convertible) I am installing the sound deadener under carpet and extended behind seat and over rear axle part of body (where there is none) and trunk.  However, I think Dan is right.  When I drive 70mph on the highway with top up the wind noise against top is what you hear, more than anything else.  The sound deadener cannot hurt though.  95% of my driving is top down, so not too worried about anyway.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Alan Harris CLC#1513

When these convertibles were new, they had a sound deadening pad on the inside of the convertible top. My 1969 and my 1965 DeVille convertibles both had them. I wonder how many were lost over the years as tops were replaced. Of course, they only helped when the top was up.

Tire noise was not as noticeable back when we had bias ply tires. Radials are noisier by nature.

David Greenburg

I used Raam Mat (available online from Raam audio). There are 2 layers; a foil-backed heat/sound deadener and a thinner layer that improves sound absorption.  I've been happy with it, and its easy to install, as both layers are self-adhesive. 
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special