News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cadillac Dealerships in Existence Circa 1968

Started by M. Ables, January 05, 2015, 05:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M. Ables

Looking for Cadillac Dealerships owned in the US by families in 1968. Currently focusing in the state of Arkansas...

Bill Young

Cannot help with Arkansas , However Valley Cadillac Rochester New York founded 1936 , also Leo Whalen Cadillac Pontiac Newark New York and before that it was called Vernon M. Gridley. I hope this helps.

M. Ables

Excellent, I will take a look. Thanks again for the quick reply. Be safe...

tturley

Member # 28929
1940 Lasalle model 5019
2011 Escalade platinum Edition
1995 Ford F-150
2015 Buick Enclave

M. Ables

dadscad

If my memory serves me correctly, Madison Cadillac, in Little Rock, AR sold to Mr.Ledger Parker, "Parker Cadillac", around 67 or 68. Parker Cadillac is still in business in Little Rock, owned and operated by Mr. Parker's sons. My dad bought the 63 I have today at Madison Cadillac, May 10, 1963. My mom and I took her 58 Fleetwood to the dealer as a trade in to pick up the new 63 Coupe deVille.

I think Madison Cadillac had another location in Memphis, TN at the time or that is where he moved his business.

David
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

M. Ables

These are the ones that I have come up with. Looking for two son's that probably took over the business in the early or mid 1970's.

M. Ables

Thanks for the info. If anything else comes to mind, let me know...

jock82

I take my 2009 DTS to Smith Chevrolet - Cadillac in Fort Smith, Arkansas and I have lived here all of my 69 years.  They have been there for as long as I can remember.  I think the same family has owned it.  I have had great service from them and I didn't buy the car there.

Guy Moore
CLC#12650
2009 DTS
1994 de Ville Concours
1989 Sedan de  Ville
1976 Olds 98 Regency

1989 Sedan de Ville
1994 Concours
2009 DTS'
1976 Olds 98 Regency

Guy Moore CLC# 12650

Dan LeBlanc

Wow.

I have a 1961 Fleetwood Sixty Special (it's a parts car now) that according to the Protect-O-Plate was sold through Smith Chev in May 1961.  The customer was in Houston, so I had always assumed that's where the dealership was despite the outlet code being Fort Smith, Arkansas.

One of my little mysteries solved today.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

jock82

The dealership was located downtown in the early 60's about two block off of the main street (Garrison Avenue) about four or five block east of the Arkansas River bridge that crosses into Oklahoma.   I remember going by there in summer of 1962 when I was 17 years old to look at the 62 Cadillacs,  I think I still have the brochure somewhere in my collection of car stuff.  The dealership moved out on Towson Avenue and Zero Street (US 71 ) where it still is today.

Guy Moore
CLC# 12650

1989 Sedan de Ville
1994 Concours
2009 DTS'
1976 Olds 98 Regency

Guy Moore CLC# 12650

savemy67

MA,

Schuman Carriage was the Cadillac and Buick dealer in Honolulu in 1968.  Family owned since 1893 when they opened a carriage business in Honolulu.  I think they became a Cadillac dealer in the 1920's.  My father bought a Buick from them and had his Cadillacs serviced there.  My sister also bought her Cadillac from them.  They closed in 2004 after 111 years in business.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Gene Beaird

My Grandfather bought our 68 Calais brand new, off the lot, at Charles Maund Cadillac (Probably Charles Maund Oldsmobile/Cadillac) in Austin, Texas, after the oil pump in the Cadillac he was driving on vacation seized, ruining the engine.  It looks like that company has now morfed into a Toyota/VW dealership. 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Vince Taliano #13852

Richard Sills and I have been working on an article for the Potomac Region's Caddie Chronicle newsletter on the history of Cadillac Dealerships in Washington, DC.  We hope to have it completed for our February 2015 issue.  Will post to this thread once it is completed.

Thanks.
Vince Taliano
CLC Potomac Region
www.clcpotomacregion.org (view over 3,000 pictures!)

Tom Hall 7485

In 1960, Arkansas had 17 authorized Cadillac dealers.  Probably the same number or very close to it in 1968.
Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.

M. Ables

Tom Hall, where would I find out the names of those 16 dealerships in Arkansas that were in existence in the 1960's? Thanks to all for there replies.

Tom Hall 7485

Mainly in late 1967 and 1968 phone books and newspapers for the cities in which they were located.  You might also do a name search of "Cadillac" at the Secretary of State's office of corporate filings, but if you do, you will probably not find all of the dealers because some may not have incorporated by 1968, and others may not have used the key word "Cadillac" in their corporate names. 

I believe that all 17 were owned by independent businessmen, none by GM.
Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.

Brian Laurance

The following may or may not be a useful resource, but I found it to be quite interesting.  My impression as I reviewed the list is that it spans a wide range of years, so some of the listed dealerships may not have been in existence circa 1968.  And it is certain that the list here is by no means exhaustive.  But it might prove a useful starting point for further research in some areas.  I did not review the list looking specifically for Arkansas dealerships.

http://www.oneownercollectorcar.com/index.php/dealerships/167-dealership-manufacturer-index-general-motors

M. Ables

Thanks to all for your help. I will check in to them

M. Ables

I did discover the two present owners of Parker Cadillac, of Little Rock Arkansas, is David and Richard Parker. Sons of the late Leger Parker. A BBB Accredited Business since 06/03/1968.