News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Speedometer Reading

Started by Ralph Messina CLC 4937, January 06, 2015, 11:25:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

I need some diagnostic help with speedometer reading. When I purchased the car -66 Eldorado- the speedometer worked, albeit with some needle indicator shake with body motion. After rebuilding the car I never checked the speedometer reading because the Cruise Control was not attached. I eventually opened and inpected / cleaned the unit and installed it. The speedometer now works fine up to 40MPH but will not go any higher.  All the visible connections are correct and fit properly.   I’d appreciate any suggestions as to the cause or likely place to start looking for the problem.

Thanks,
Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Ralph,

Firstly, does the Odometer operate at all speeds?

If so, then the problem is going to be in the swinging arc of the speedo needle.

The Odometer and the Needle aren't physically joined together, so if one is working, and the other not, then it is in the actual speedo head where the problem lies.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon