News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Bob Spreen dealer emblem

Started by lars@lrc.no, January 02, 2015, 09:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lars@lrc.no

Hi everyone.
First of all i want to wish you all a Happy New Year.

I have a 1978 Coupe Deville d'Elegance with 50.000 miles on it.
I have all the history of the car since it was sold new in Downey Ca.
It was sold in may 1978 from Bob Spreen.

I have got my self 2 Bob Spreen dealership license frames. But i wonder if anyone in this forum knows if they also had
dealership emblems for the trunk lid. If so i would so much like to get my hands on one of those.
It only has the original Bob Spreen window sticker. Maybe thats all they had at that time. It's not much info to get on
the Bob Spreen dealership in those years. So i would also appreciate if someone could tell me more about this dealership
and maybe have some pictures from this dealership.

Hope someone can help me with this.

Thanks.

Beste reg.

Lars R. Christensen
Norway

rismt

Lars ... wow, your question takes me way back to my life many years ago when I lived in Southern California. I purchased a number of new Cadillacs from Bob Spreen including a 1978 Coupe de Ville d'Eligance. To the best of my memory they never placed a "dealer sticker/badging" on the rear of the cars. Only license plate frames. By the way, when Spreen sold his dealership it was to Roger Penske & Penske Automotive as I recall.

Hope this helps.

Bob Schwartz
CLC #25646
Bob Schwartz
CLC Member #25646
Spokane, WA
1939 Cadillac Series 61 Sedan

Big Apple Caddy

Attached is a picture of the Bob Spreen dealership from the late 1960s and a March 1977 ad.  It became Roger Penske Cadillac in the early 1980s.

jagbuxx #12944

"Bob Spreen Cadillac, a beautiful place to buy or lease your next car, where the freeways meet in Downey" ...that was their jingle going back to at least the late '60's. They are now a Penske dealership.
Trunk emblems were not very common in California, probably because license plates once assigned to a car would generally
stay with the car for it's useful life unless the owner removed it...compared to many states where license plates stayed with the owners so they would probably get pitched at each owner change  .Several dealers in SoCal that did use emblems were Thomas Cadillac in Los Angeles, Lou Ehlers Cadillac on Wilshire Blvd and Plaza Motors in Palm Springs in combination with plate frames at different times.
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: jagbuxx #12944 on January 02, 2015, 11:54:57 AM
They are now a Penske dealership.

It became a Don Massey dealership after Penske many years ago but closed around 2009.  The closest Cadillac dealership to Downey today is in Signal Hill.

David Greenburg

I was not aware of the jingle, nor had I even seen a picture of the place, although it helps me make sense of a reference to the Spreen dealership and the jingle contained in "Billy the Mountain," a Frank Zappa song that was a staple of my formative years. 
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special