News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

59 Brake Switch and spring

Started by 59 DIRTY RAT, January 06, 2015, 07:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

59 DIRTY RAT

Hi guys, Im have trouble finding 59 Brake pedal switch? and a spring for the pedal as well?

Im to big to get under the dash to have a look but do they have the lever style or is it a push button style with 2 prongs? does anyone have a pic? or a link to a pic?

And does anyone sell the spring for the pedal? My brake pedal seems to not retract enough each time, so I assume its either the switch or the spring? (The problem is not the Booster)

Thanks 
'59 Fleetwood 75 imperial limo
'69 Corvette 540ci 755hp
'72 Suburban 454ci

59-in-pieces

Andy,
The brake light switch is a plunger type with 2 electrical leads.
There is no spring that pulls the pedal back after braking.
I would adjust all of your brakes - each wheel.
I would confirm that the vacuum lines are not cracked losing vacuum. Since I did not notice which style 59 you have, there are several large bore rubber lines with their respective clamps which should be checked - engine to check valve to booster to (2) reserve vacuum canisters.
You also did not say if you car had cruise control.  For if it does, there is also a cruise control cut out switch in the brake pedal area which activates when the brake pedal is depressed.
Here are  some photos which might be helpful.
Have fun
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Ken Perry

I am pretty sure you can find two different styles of brake switches on 59 Cads,one is like Steve showed and the other has prongs and rides on a pin. Ken Perry
Cadillac Ken

59 DIRTY RAT

Thanks Steve and Ken I appreciate the help!, The brake switch is what I thought. I have seen some after market ones that suppose to fit so I might give them a try?
Thats interesting about 'no spring' I have a spring? but makes sense because there is no attachment holes to mount a spring, its just hooked around to a piece of steel above it. When I take the spring out it sags about half way down? I will check all the all the vacuum lines and cannisters!
My Caddy is a Imperial Limo with no cruise control.
Thanks, Andy
'59 Fleetwood 75 imperial limo
'69 Corvette 540ci 755hp
'72 Suburban 454ci