News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Interior dash "Grill"

Started by ericdel, January 10, 2015, 05:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericdel

I am looking for tips on re-painting the black background on my interior dash grill. 1959 6239. I'm assuming I will have to spray the whole thing and then use some sort of fine abrasive to remove the paint from the chrome.  Any tips would be great.  Thanks in advance.
1959 Cadillac 6239

Steve Passmore

I would not use anything abrasive on chrome, you will loose the shine. I spray first then dampen a rag in paint thinners, wrap it tightly around a block of wood and wipe the surface high spots.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

cadillactim

I take a razor blade (like an X-Acto knife) and gently "scrape and chip" the paint off the ridges. The paint will flake off the ridges pretty easy. Then I go back with 00 or 0000 steel wool to remove any residue paint. The fine steel wool also help the shine. This method does not scratch the surface if you take your time.  Personally, I stay away from thinner because you have to use utmost care otherwise it can seep into the low spots and remove paint you don't want removed.

Tim
Tim Groves

BillR. CLC # 29203

eric del,
I had luck with prepping, painting and them immediately after painting, while still wet, I carefully wiped the top ridges with a clean cloth.
I did the same for the three pieces on the rear of my son's '59 of which I've attached a copy of the fuel filler cover.
Good luck.
BillR.
Bill Rodwick
CLC # 29203

Crew Member:  '59 Sedan Deville Six Window

Jon S

Got a very easy way - try your technique on a small piece of trim first.

Make sure the part is clean and no loose paint.

Buy a bottle of Testor's flat black ($1.19) and paint the black parts with a fine model brush.  Before the paint dries, wipe the chrome lines with a soft clean cloth.  Do not wipe where the black should be.  Rubbing horizontally as opposed to vertically should work best.  If you over-wipe you can re-apply to that area and re-wipe.  Results are beautiful!
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Steve Passmore

Personally, I stay away from thinner because you have to use utmost care otherwise it can seep into the low spots and remove paint you don't want removed.

Tim
[/quote]

I said dampen the rag not soak it. There should never be enough to seep out the rag. Been doing it this way for 40 years but what do I know?  A qualified chrome plater would be horrified at the suggestion of steel wool of any grade on chrome unless its so bad you don't care.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

59-in-pieces

Eric,
Good advice from all who offered up their ways.
I have another way that I have used on several Eldo's. - on the dashboard pieces and rear grills.
There are available mat black PAINT pens (not gloss) - very fine and sharp points - from hobby shops, or your local graffiti suppliers.
I simply draw the pen between each groove.
If you get a little shaky, rub off the excess right away - and reapply if needed.
I do have one observation to offer - that unless the pieces you will be painting are "PIT" free, the pits will be instantly noticeable - either on the chrome or polished aluminum pieces.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

In 30 years of use, I have yet to damage the finish of anything with 0000 fine steel wool - on metal/chrome surfaces or glass. Ever.

The problem with the paint brush method is that it is virtually impossible to achieve even coverage and consistency from section to section. "Glopping" is a big problem too.

That said, I'll throw in my recommendations which worked perfectly for the painting of these parts:

1. Take the parts to your local car wash and pressure wash ALL the old paint out. It should come out very easily if all original and no attempt to repaint the parts was ever made.

2. Treat the parts with Prepsol to remove any traces of oils, soaps or anything that may prevent adhesion.

3. CAREFULLY treat the top edges of the metal surfaces NOT to be painted with a THIN coat of Vaseline, using your thumb. Apply in a motion WITH THE GRAIN ONLY.

4. Spray paint the areas WITH THE PIECE FACING THE GROUND. This will help prevent "pooling" of the paint.

5. THOROUGHLY let dry before attempting to remove excess paint - with parts facing DOWNWARD.

6. Carefully wipe the excess paint off. Use fine steel wool - gently - as needed where paint remains on undesired areas.

Following these steps will make the black insert paint look new.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Jon S

Here is a picture of my hubcap which I painted the Cadillac Motor Car Division 10 years ago with the Testor's paint and wipe method. No "glops" whatsoever.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

ericdel

Thank you for all the replies.  I tried the steel wool method and the thinner method and both worked well.  Steve B, you are right.  Any imperfection lit right up.  Thanks again.
Eric
1959 Cadillac 6239

KD

My chrome shop said to use acetone. Use the BLUE paper towels wrapped around a stick, like a paint stir stick, and wipe only one time and one direction , repeat  as needed but only with a clean spot on the towel each time.
It worked like a charm for me on my dash.
The acetone evaporates rapidly so you need to apply the acetone before each time
Ken D CLC#26801
Ken Dennison

1935 Auburn S/C Cabroilet
1940 Cadillac V16 7 passenger Imperial Sedan (9033)
1929 Ford Closed Cab Pick Up
1960 Austin Healey Sprite

nightshade

I do model railroading and I constantly had to paint my tracks and there is a simple solution:

Coat the chrome with petroleum jelly and then paint. when finished all you have to do is wipe off the Jelly 
Paul Pittman
1942 7523 limo