News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Replacing Cigarette lighter with usb.

Started by nightshade, January 13, 2015, 07:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nightshade

For us non smokers its a hassle to keep track of a charger for our phone and moving it from one car to the other. A pilot friend of
mind sent me this link:

http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/10030?gclid=CJa8xbWUksMCFc0-MgodUHoAFw

It allows you to replace your stock Cigarette lighter without much modification. Thought others might find this useful..
Paul Pittman
1942 7523 limo

cadillacmike68

Nah, Just get a travel charger for each car.

What you can't afford that? 

And you're in a Cadillac club???
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

76eldo

That's a good suggestion.  They do sell adapters just about everywhere that plug into a standard lighter socket and have a USB output.  I have seen them as low as $5.00.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

I like it.   Most of those $5 adapters don't last and really don't charge very well due to their low available current.  Also the cords in the same bin as those $5 adapters don't last either.  Its a toss up if the wires break or the contacts wear out after a few uses.  The one he linked to should charge anything you could plug into it as fast as what ever it is will take it. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

gary griffin

Too bad it is for 12 Volt and 24 Volt systems.  They always overlook those of us with 6 volt systems and positive grounds are really ignored.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

joecaristo

When ever I read things about updating an old car to whats popular today I think of when I bought my 77 Eldorado in 1984. It still had the factory 8-track player in it. I was 20 years old. All my friends used to get on me to put in a modern cassette player. I always replied "Someday cassette players will be out of style too. I'm keeping my car factory original" I still have the car and I show kids at car shows how to work the 8-track player. They are amazed that thats the way we listened to music in the car back then. Theres to point to my story. I know everyone's got the right to do what they want with their car. This post just made me smile.
Joe Caristo

cadillacmike68

Quote from: TJ Hopland on January 13, 2015, 11:41:17 PM
I like it.   Most of those $5 adapters don't last and really don't charge very well due to their low available current.  Also the cords in the same bin as those $5 adapters don't last either.  Its a toss up if the wires break or the contacts wear out after a few uses.  The one he linked to should charge anything you could plug into it as fast as what ever it is will take it.

The linked item is not $5.

A proper travel charger has proven to be quite durable, and not any more expensive.

The linked one looks like it has to be wired up (thus making it non-portable) and where do you put it?  The link suggests the lighter jack?!? OK, but there goes your lighter outlet.

I'd still prefer a proper charger, you can get them with both the micro USB and a regular USB input.

"Twice the amperage of most cigarette lighter adapters" - well, maybe the $5 ones...

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Jason Edge

Me and my wife have dual USB lighter adaptors in all of our cars. No, don't buy the very cheapest thing you can find, but a decent dual USB with smart charging circuitry that will limit charging when full and protect against voltage and current surge is not expensive! Most provide 2.1 amp current for fast charging which is about 4 times the 1/2 amp you will get from standard USB ports and on par with the new USB 3 devices and ports. For just over $10 you can get something like the one in this link:  http://www.amazon.com/Dual-USB-Charger-3-1Amp-15-5W/dp/B00CD0JBZK/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1421294028&sr=8-7&keywords=usb+charger+lighter
For $20 or $30 you can get some really creative chargers that can charge up to 5 or more devices and provide additional lighter sockets.

With the extremely fast changes in technology, I would just keep the original lighters working and get newer and smarter adaptor as you need them.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

nightshade

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on January 13, 2015, 10:29:58 PM
Nah, Just get a travel charger for each car.

What you can't afford that? 

And you're in a Cadillac club???

I kept losing the dang five dollar ones so I just got fed up and replaced my cigarette lighter with the USB port. I wired a second 12 volt port in the back for the portable fridge or whatever else needed a standard plug
Paul Pittman
1942 7523 limo

nightshade

Quote from: gary griffin on January 14, 2015, 11:18:46 AM
Too bad it is for 12 Volt and 24 Volt systems.  They always overlook those of us with 6 volt systems and positive grounds are really ignored.

Our phones only need 5 volts to charge.

This article uses a GPS but It works the same with USB and answers the question with positive ground
http://www.asciimation.co.nz/austin7/?p=632
Paul Pittman
1942 7523 limo