News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 Instrument cluster bulbs. LED anyone?

Started by ericdel, January 24, 2015, 05:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericdel

I have my cluster out and while I do I was going to change the bulbs to LED.  Anyone have any experience or input on this positive or negative?
Thanks in advance.
Eric
1959 Cadillac 6239

Jon S

They will be glarey and why would you want to do that???
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

J. Gomez

Eric,

Any bulb can be changed to LED but you have to take notice the ones for the turn signal indicator and the ones for the instrument cluster which are dimmed by the light switch can’t.

If you changes those the turn signals will not work as the whole circuit is dependent on the bulb resistance, same applies for the instrument ones when dimmed.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

The Tassie Devil(le)

I solved the problem in my '72 Eldo by using small Halogen globes that my Auto Electrician recommended.

Not cheap at AU$10.00 each, but they are dimable and I am pretty sure that they would be available in the socket-base you need.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on January 24, 2015, 06:15:20 PM
I solved the problem in my '72 Eldo by using small Halogen globes that my Auto Electrician recommended.

Bruce, I bought also halogen bulbs to replace the "57" ones from the dash. When I replaced the engine wiring from my '57 Brougham, I replaced the regular bulbs by the halogen ones. Very bright light! Then I dim the light from the dash and smoke occured. It came from the rheostat which was very hot due to the extra current those bulbs are absorbing. I put again the regular bulbs...I still have those damn halogen bulbs in stock!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Jon S

I repeat my first post - Why would you want to do that?  These cars were well designed (perhaps over-designed) and there is no need to use anything other than the recommended bulbs/application.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

sjocad

I tried it too,but out again after that try.BAD stuff.Original is best
svein sjoblom,CLC # 12214.

1937 Lasalle opera coupe series 50.

The Tassie Devil(le)

I changed my bulbs simply because I wanted the brighter illumination as the factory ones were not bright enough.

I don't have any problems with any overheating rheostat, and the globes are only 5 Watt.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

bcroe

Quote from: Jon SI repeat my first post - Why would you want to do that?  These cars were well designed
(perhaps over-designed) and there is no need to use anything other than the recommended bulbs/application.

I have had plenty of problems with the original bulbs.  One is the heat can distort the board over time,
and then the bulbs no longer make reliable contact.  Another is the bulbs gradually blackening with use
and requiring replacement.  Often that replacement can be extremely difficult/time consuming.  The high
bulb return current can cause enough voltage drop in the panel ground to shift electric gauges.  And
any dark spots can be corrected if done right once and for all. 

I don't expect the dimmer to work as before.  OK, I keep mine all the way up anyway.  Turn signal bulbs
aren't prone to these problems, since they spend so very little time on.  But these buls are so much
smaller than the front & rear signal bulbs (they are in parallel with), its hard to believe changing these
will have a noticeable effect on the flasher.  Bruce Roe   CLC # 14630