News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Newbie -- Need Trunk Liner Kit for 1960 Eldo Biarritz (Heather/White/White)

Started by Pedal2Metal, January 26, 2015, 03:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedal2Metal

Any help on sourcing the correct panels, underside liner and vinyl surface would be appreciated. I see some cheaper stuff out there but would like to go as correct as possible. I also don't know what the correct color (gray?), and correct pattern, would be. Johan (Sweden)  says he can provide the vinyl, but I'm still not sure what is correct.  I will try Jenkins (now run by his son?) to see what they might still be able to offer.

Also, this is an original bucket seat car. Would the seat buttons have the center part painted (in my case white) or left in metal finish?  Thanks!

Rob 
1931 Oakland V8 2-Door Sedan
1942 Hudson Big Boy Pickup
1958 Messerschmitt Kabinenroller 200
1960 Eldo Biarritz Bucket Seat - Heather/White
1965 Ford GT40 (CAV)
1969 Shelby GT500
1971 Plymouth Hemi Cuda 4-Speed Vert
1974 Jaguar V12 E-Type Roadster

Whit

I too have a 1960 Eldorado Biarritz convertible and the seat buttons are indeed painted in the center to match the upholstery. I have posted a photo of mine. I am in the process of a full frame-off restoration and working on upholstery right now.

Regards   Whit

76eldo

As far as I know Jenkins is the only place to get the correct trunk kit that uses the correct materials.

Hopefully they are in business.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

David Greenburg

My car has a Jenkins trunk kit installed recently by the P.O. The correct trunk lining is is cloth material on a fiberboard backing, not vinyl, although there is vinyl edging in a few places.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Bill Lucarelli #22702

Johan in Sweden is the place to buy the correct fabric, he can supply most factory colors.  A few years ago he brought mine to Fall Hershey.
1959  Eldorado conv
1958  Porsche speedster
1948  Plymouth woody

76eldo

My 1960 62 Series convert has a Jenkins kit, my 60 Eldo Seville is original and very nice.

I will be happy to provide detailed photos of the trunk when the weather gets nicer and I can get them outside.

Good luck,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Antti A

Hi, I choosed a different way to this. I did not find correct color material, so I made the pattern myself and printed it to canvas fabric..
http://garage59.blogspot.fi/2014/12/takaluukun-verhoilut.html
Antti Asunmaa - Industrial designer - Finland

http://garage59.blogspot.fi/

n2caddies

Wow!! Beautiful job!! Any chance of an English translation on the process?
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

Grant Owen

Rob, the correct color of your Trunk Liner is Gray do not make the mistake like Antti & others make . The original fabric fades giving a yellow (taupe) color  . Everything in the trunk is the same color side boards mats etc. The material SMS & Jenkins sells is reproduction I have not seen a reproduction fabric that has the correct size cross stitch or color. The fabric Johan in Sweden has is just as good as the other reproduction fabrics I have seen & it is a lot cheaper. As for the side boards be careful using reproductions they seem to be generic 59 & 60 differ & are model specific . I have just done 2 Trunk Liners in 59's one Green the other Gray I made my own side boards & hinge covers I was lucky enough to find NOS fabric I have attached some pictures so you can see how it is done correctly.

Antti A

Luckily I got a decent shape of liners left from my car, so I can prove Grant wrong. In my trained designer eye, these does not look gray, and never has. It's possible that the bottom layer can get dull or tanned, but the side panels are printed cardboards and they do not change their color unless being in a direct sunshine. I get the reference samples from the areas which were in such a place that the have not been visible.

It may be possible that early production cars have different color variations than the "real-59" cars. My car is assembled in -58 as is the Eric's car which is all original and doeas have all the same color trunk linings. http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=133167.20

Anyway, even the "gray" in Grant's photos is way too dark. It is not even close to original grey.. unless you accept there is a variotions of trunk colors!

Grant Owen

Sorry Antti to burst your bubble but the trunk liners were all the same color , if the side boards were red the material was red , if the side boards were blue the material was blue etc. The fabric faded to a yellowish color . I have a complete NOS Trunk liner in Gray some of the fabric has faded to a yellowish color . I also have a roll of NOS Blue the end of the roll & a little bit on the sides has yellowed . The car with the Green trunk liner I could not use some of the material on the roll as it had faded yellow. Original low milage cars I own or have owned the trunk liner was always faded to a yellowish color. I do not think they would have made the fabrics in different colors if they were only going to use Taupe (yellowish color). The Gray pictured in one of my 59's is NOS Fabric that was how dark it was when it was new. I suggest Antti you do more research.

Antti A

Grant Owen

Antti the 1959 Cadillac specifications manual shows a Coupe Deville with your trim code will have a Gray trunk liner, Side Boards  & fabric will all be Gray . I am unsure what you mean by an original Red/Gray trunk there was never any combination like that , Red side boards would have Red material. Richard if you are watching this care to post a pic of your NOS trunk liner kit in Red.

P Cedergren

Grant is correct, the side cardboards and the fabric mats on the floor were always the same color when the cars were new. There were no grey/yellow, or red/grey combinations.
However, the fabric mats on the floor fade with time.

I bought my '60 in 1979, so 19 years old. Being a blue car with blue interior it had blue trunk liner. However, although the side cardboards were still blue, the originally blue fabric mats had faded to a greenish color.

In 1986 I had Elsa of FEN (yes a loooong time ago, while they were still in Yonkers, NY) make a blue trunk liner kit for me. The cardboard sides were reproductions, but I believe she used NOS (New Old Stock) material for the fabric mats. And now comes the interesting thing: Today the fabric mats are still blue, but the spare tire cover (same NOS material as for the fabric mats) has faded greenish, especially where it touches the tire itself.
Could it be that the fabric mat backing is what causes the fabric to fade? Maybe.

Per C. 4218 

veesixteen

I wonder where the got those fancy hubcaps for the '59 convertible (painted Siena Rose, like my '60b Eldo Biarritz; BTW I had to have a dozen seat buttons specially cast ... at a ridiculous cost ... in Switzerland, where we lived at the time).
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Antti A

Ok, Maybe I need to believe you with this. I'm not willing to change my trunk liners though. Maybe after some time, I'll make another set for me with correct color and sell those for someone just to preserve the authenticity. Still I am wondering about the cardboards.. those are certainly a "pink" colored and there is spots in old panels which has been covered and which are very bright and good condition and they are pink too. Other Caddy owners who have had their trunk in grey color have actually grey panels too. I have one -60 sparetire sack and it is blue all over and has not faded at all, so fading might couse a bit different actions between different colors. Also the humidity, place etc. will affect some differences. The original bottomlayer material looks a bit like organic to me, so it's not the most durable anyway and it might be hard to keep it colored for a long time.