News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

How do you replace the license bulb on a '98 deVille Concours?

Started by J. Skelly, January 27, 2015, 01:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J. Skelly

First off, it isn't my car, so I don't have a repair manual for it, and I couldn't find anything on the Internet.  I unbolted the 2 sheet metal screws that hold the lamp bezel in place, expecting the lamp assembly to pull down from the opening.  No luck there, so I removed the license plate assembly and there was no access to it.  The inside of the trunk lid is lined with a felt material.  I don't want to risk ripping that or breaking the grommets that hold it in place.  I was wondering if anyone has replaced it on a '97-'99 deVille only.  It looks like another poorly engineered GM design.  Thanks.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

76eldo

Jim,

If the owners manual is in the car they usually cover all bulb replacement instructions.

If not, call a dealer. They are usually very helpful with these things.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

J. Skelly

Brian,

The owner's manual doesn't even list all of the bulbs.  I will try the dealer if I have to.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

harvey b

The bulbs are most likely 194's  they just push in, the covering should have some type of pushin clips holding it in place,remove a couple on one corner and try and get your hand up into the recess where the plate is,the housings are soft rubber and twist out,they can be a bugger to get back in,the slots have to line up for them to fit,it is really not that hard to do. Harvey
Harvey Bowness

J. Skelly

Harvey,

You would think the lamp assembly would pull out through the opening after removing the screws, so you could swap bulbs, but either the wiring is too short or the lamp assembly is too large, to fit through the opening.  It's an incredibly poor design.  I used mastic tape on the exposed side of the lamp assembly to re-align the holes, and it was still difficult to screw back into the proper position.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

harvey b

There is nothing simple about working on these cars,everything seems to be over engineered?,you should be able to remove a couple of the clips and bend the covering away so you can get at the bulbs,that whole assembly will come out easy,there should be 6-8 10mm headed nuts holding it in,but it shouldnt have to come out to replace the bulbs,the backup lites are in there too? The trunk lock and mechanism is there,you dont want to mess with that?. Good Luck  Harvey
Harvey Bowness

J. Skelly

Harvey,

I don't remember if the surround is plastic or metal.  In any event, the opening is too small to pull the lamp assembly out.  The wiring is too short to even adequately grasp the assembly, much less to even see the bulb to pull it out.  It's just ridiculous.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

Dan LeBlanc

If you remove the license plate, you should be able to remove the screws holding the surround and pull the whole surround out and work at it that way instead of trying to access from inside the trunk lid.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

J. Skelly

thanks, Dan, I'll try that when the weather is warmer here in Detroit
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)