News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1977 cadillac deville steering column interchangeability

Started by Grudatom, January 28, 2015, 10:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grudatom

Hello this is my first post,
I need help with my 1977 Cadillac Deville.
I thought the car without keys and try to put in a new cylinder but failed and now I can't figure out how to put it back together.
I figured the easiest thing to do would to be buying a new steering column.
It is difficult to find a exact steering column on eBay.

Does anyone know any cars that have steering columns that would fit my car?
If it helps it's a non-tilt.

Walter Youshock

Get a copy of the shop manual.  '77 being the first redesign, it should cover the entire column assembly.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

TJ Hopland

20 years ago maybe finding a replacement column may have been easy and not very expensive especially since you don't have a tilt one but these days they are pretty hard to come by.   If you did find one your chances of it being the correct color would be slim, same with things like the correct cruise control and details like that. 

Its been a few years since I had one of those apart but I don't remember it being too difficult to replace the lock as long as you had the lock ring compressor tool.  These days you can get those for under $10 or rent them so its not a big deal.   What part(s) are you having issues with?   Did something break?  Do you think you lost some stuff?   Have some pics of the parts?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Grudatom

Color doesn't matter to me too much I could always have it painted or something like that,

I know one part I did break was the 4 way hazards switch. But it think the major problem would be me remembering where all the screws go. Plus I may have lost stuff so column is really my best bet.

I thought about using the column from the 73 Eldo that's in the background but i don't know of that would fit plus it's tilt wheel.

Another car I have is an 1980 caprice.

Would either column work?

TJ Hopland

Hopefully someone will be along soon that knows for sure but I would think one of those two cars should work. 

Its a little odd to see a Caddy without tilt and tele.   What other options does that car have or not have?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Grudatom

60eldo

I may be able to help. I have a 1977 coupe column. Heres the pic, let me know if you need it ,,,Jon You can phone me 905 706 2747
Jon. Klu

Grudatom

How much would you want for that column?
Does it have keys. Also I need some various trim pieces too if you have them

mgbeda

There's a good chance that the '80 Caprice column would work, but I'm not sure of it.  I know the '73 Eldo column will not work.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)