News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1972 Cadillac Eldorado replacing heater core-Success got defrost duct & core out

Started by Scot Minesinger, January 31, 2015, 12:31:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

If this era Eldo core leaks where does it come out?  Carpet inside or does it end up going out the condensate drain outside? 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Depends where the core has failed.  Usually inside, but the case can direct the water outside as well. Often the core will begin leaking on the body of the core, and what you get is a "fog" out of the vents.  First thought is "wow, that AC is sure cold", followed by the coolant smell that is hard to ignore.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Scot Minesinger

The 1972 heater core change out was a picnic compared to an 82 Cadillac RWD.  Thanks for sharing the 16 hour time requirement on the 72 heater core change out Greg, now I don't feel so bad on how long it took me.  Granted I'm sure my second 1972 Caddy heater core change out would go quicker. 

The coolant smell came on the 1982 Cadillac and so I'm replacing the original core right now.  The entire dash comes out, disconnect speedo and all.  The easiest heater cores to change are 65-68 Cadillacs.  The 1969 and 70 are under hood too but some in passenger compartment work.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

dochawk

Since I found the title (still not transferred to me!) to the one in my garage last night, I guess I'll pass on this second one and get this one fixed up . . .

thanks to all for helping avoid a disaster

hawk
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

mgbeda

Scot-

You mean the heater core was that bad on an '82 DeVille or Fleetwood?  I'm surprised because I had replaced one on a '91 Brougham and it was the easiest ever- just had to take off an access panel in the cowl area.  I had assumed that stuff like that was pretty similar from '77 to '92, because the dashboards look the same, but I guess that was a bad assumption.  I wonder what year they started putting that access panel there.  That'd be good to know if I ever was looking for another Brougham.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

Scot Minesinger

Yes, 1982 Cadillac RWD, it is the worst ever on any car I have ever seen to replace heater core.  I would think the 4.1 would be enough to limit collectors, underpowered and undependable, just like a 1978 Ford Pinto.  No joke my friend in high school had a brand new 1978 Ford Pinto and it caught fire one day driving 35 mph when it was less than a year old and totaled itself.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

In regards to the level of difficulty, practice seems to make these tasks less traumatic.
The non sequiter about the Pinto is poorly chosen. pintos used to catch fire when struck from the rear.
Early 70s Cadillacs were known to be prone to "cooking off" After being driven and then parked.
None of this really has any relevance to the topic.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Scot Minesinger

Hey I was wrong about the 1982 Cadillac heater core removal process.  The RWD car heater core removal is from under hood, and the front drive require the complete dash removal.

The 1978 Pinto caught fire when it was six months old driving forward at 35 mph for no reason - my friend was in the car when it happened.  I know they also caught fire when struck from the rear.  Since the car was destroyed, no one knows how it started.