News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'68 drivers door panel

Started by Matt 12861, January 31, 2015, 08:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt 12861

I was working on my '68 Deville drivers side door and the back of the wooden inset panel had a stamp "Evans Products....1987"  on it.   The door looks like some one sprayed a white panel with black paint or dye...it is white under the door pull.  Not a big deal, just wondered if anyone knew about Evans Products.
Matt Givler
Matt Givler #12861

Bill Young

I looked closely at the photo You posted and the supposed 8 looks suspiciously like it might be a 6. What is the build date of Your 1968 Cadillac from the upper left hand corner of your cars aluminum body tag. it will have 2 digits and a letter?
Sincerely , Bill Young

Scot Minesinger

To me looking closely that is definitely 1987
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Matt,

From your observations and comments I’d say that door panel may have been repaired or replaced and dyed black. The Evans stamp on the rear, and the grain of the wood also suggests that it has been replaced. It was originally Rosewood which has a much more pronounced grain than your  sample. Evans was Florida company that went through a major bankruptcy in 1985. A division survived that sold building and wood supplies. Your panel may come from their product array.

HTH,
Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Matt & others,
Evans Products was the company that made those panels at that time. As far as the date... have you guys  ever heard of a mistake?? The worker put the wrong number date  in the stamping machine.  The panel is obviously made in 67 for use on a 68 model year car.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

DeVille68

Hi guys,

The picture looks exactly as my back side of the wood veneer. I will post a picture of my date code when I am home again.
The number on the back looks like 1987.

Regards,
Nicolas
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)