News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac (6267) Front Wheel Bearings

Started by Coupe Deville, February 05, 2015, 12:02:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupe Deville

Hello everyone. Its time for new front wheel bearings on my dads 59' convertible. The old ones have finally had it. Who sells new front wheel bearings that are not cheap junk? Any suggestions?

Thanks

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

sjocad

Hi Gavin.
I dont think anybody sell them "junk".They are real good.
But ask KANTER NJ.Or www.OPGI.com in CA...Ph;1.800-243-8355.Los Angeles area.
Thanks,,svein
Would you please Email me.Wanne take more.I got two 59 coupes.
sveinthecadman@hotmail.com.
I am CLC # 12214,from Norway
svein sjoblom,CLC # 12214.

1937 Lasalle opera coupe series 50.

Jon S

Quote from: Coupe Deville on February 05, 2015, 12:02:41 AM
Hello everyone. Its time for new front wheel bearings on my dads 59' convertible. The old ones have finally had it. Who sells new front wheel bearings that are not cheap junk? Any suggestions?

Thanks

-Gavin

Try to find some NOS Delco Hyatt or Delco New Departure ones on eBay.  Many of the "supplier" ones are made in China - enough said!
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

59-in-pieces

Gavin,
A word of caution - check out finding seals.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Jon S

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on February 05, 2015, 12:12:34 PM
Gavin,
A word of caution - check out finding seals.
Have fun,
Steve B.

Rock Auto had the seals - I bought a bunch for "spares" a few months ago, but I don't see them listed for a 1959.

I bought these, but for about @2.00@.  Don't know if the 1959's are different than the 1958's:

1958 CADILLAC SERIES 62 6.0L 365cid V8 : Brake/Wheel Hub : Wheel Seal   Price
SKF Part # 21070   
{Click Info Link for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} SEAL KIT
Rear; Hatchback; Limousine; Sedan; Wagon; DeVille

Part Image
   $10.47
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Jon S

Found them at Rock Auto - Same P/N as the 1958's:

1959 CADILLAC DEVILLE 6.4L 390cid V8 : Brake/Wheel Hub : Wheel Seal   Price
SKF Part # 21070   
{Click Info Link for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} SEAL KIT
Rear; Hatchback; Limousine; Sedan; Wagon

Part Image
   $10.47
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Coupe Deville

I purchased the seals for my dads 59' Last summer from OPGI. They were not cheap but they fit.

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

dplotkin

Quote from: Coupe Deville on February 05, 2015, 12:02:41 AM

Thanks

-Gavin

I would caution you against Kanter or anyone who cannot or will not sell you Timkin bearings. I bought bearings from Kanter for my 60 Buick and they failed almost immediately. Bought USA made Timkins, no problem.

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

Jon S

Since we are not supposed to bash specific vendors, I bought an idler arm from one of our better known suppliers, had it installed by my old time mechanic and it failed within 200 miles.  Called the vendor and was advised my mechanic installed it incorrectly and offered no satisfaction whatsoever.  I subsequently purchased a MOOG idler arm which has performed perfectly for the past 12 years.  BEWARE of parts Made in China!
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

35-709

It is a shame that there is not some way fellow members investing hard earned money in their cars can't be warned about certain vendors and/or the parts they sell.  I understand (somewhat) the club's policy, but it still seems unfair to members that the club that is there to serve and assist that some still have to lose money and time on inferior parts or poor vendors to learn a hard lesson --- eventhough the knowledge is out there. 

One lesson that can be affirmed (and many have already learned) is to avoid Chinese parts where at all possible and the vendors that specialize in selling them.  Unfortunately, using Chinese parts are ofttimes unavoidable. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

David King (kz78hy)

Cheap parts can be made anywhere.  Excellent parts can also be made anywhere.  Federal-Mogel still makes these bearings (They own Moog now) and offer these parts, and the ones I bought were made in China.  I have put 10k miles so far without issue.

These are expensive bearings, so if you find some cheap, guess what, they won't be any good.  Bite the bullet and spend the money for good parts.

I would bet all the retailers are buying these same parts and just marking it up.

http://www.fme-cat.com/Application.aspx?year=1959&make=CADILLAC&model=SERIES%2062&cat=Wheel%20Bearings,%20Seals,%20Hub%20Assemblies&ga=Y

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter