News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Transmission mount on 1961 convertible - how to connect everything?

Started by Andrew Trout, February 07, 2015, 05:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Trout

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to figure out the transmission mount for the rear crossmember on a 1961 Cadillac convertible. We ordered a transmission mount from Fusick I believe, but we're not sure if we got the right one or not.

I've included a few pictures below:

So is this the right transmission mount? And if so, how does it connect? As best we can figure out, we need some flat washers for the bolts, and then bolts go through the bottom of the crossmember, through the mount, and then into the transmission. But the two holes for bolts in the transmission don't go into the space in the mount. It's literally a round peg into a square hole situation. And the bolts seem to be a little short.

Anyone have photos of what the mount should look like or how everything attaches?

Thanks!
Rochester, NY
1961 Convertible

Roger Zimmermann

The transmission mount is attached to the transmission by a pressed steel part looking like a cage. Il you don't have it, you cannot go further...
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Steve Passmore

Quote from: Andrew Trout on February 07, 2015, 05:11:32 PM

As best we can figure out, we need some flat washers for the bolts, and then bolts go through the bottom of the crossmember, through the mount, and then into the transmission.

Thanks!

The bolts would not go through the mount and in to the transmission as that would make void the purpose of the rubber. Two bolts would screw up through the cross-member and a different pair would screw down as Roger said through another part that perhaps you don't have leaving the rubber as an isolator. What happened to your original parts?
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Andrew Trout

Durr! Figured it out: the transmission mount goes inside the transmission. I was thinking it went outside of the transmission like an engine mount.

Remove the circled bolts, remove the plate, and the replace the transmission mount. Oh man. Would have been nice to figure this out before the transmission went back into the car. Oh well: live and learn.

Thanks for the help!
Rochester, NY
1961 Convertible

Tandymo

Any updates on this. I’m chasing a slight vibration and want to replace this mount. It will be done with trans in place. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. T.Morrison 1958 cadillac sixty special

Bob Schuman

Easy to replace the rubber mount. Unbolt the steel cage from the transmission, unbolt the mount from the crossmember, jack up the transmission using a thick wood block under the transmission pan to avoid damaging the pan, remove the cage with the rubber mount inside, remove, clean, install new rubber mount into cage and reinstall.
Be careful jacking the transmission, observing when some part of it reaches the floorboard, frame, etc, so as not to bend anything. On all I have done this procedure gives enough clearance to change the rear mount easily.
A bad rear mount will collapse so the metal cage rests on the crossmember, effectively causing a metal to metal connection, which is likely to cause vibration to be felt.
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5