News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Heat riser 1960

Started by JoeKarasinski, February 08, 2015, 08:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeKarasinski

I think that's what its called, goes between the left exhaust manifold and the pipe. Is that the correct name? and can new ones had?

Scot Minesinger

Those can close when car is warmed up and cause cracked intake manifolds, wreck your carb to intake manifold gasket and etc. 

Given that most of the time we are driving these cars in warm weather, I would wire it open so it can never close.  I disabled the use exhaust heat to make car warm up faster feature on my 1970 Cadillac when it became stuck in warm up mode.  The car (has temp gauge) is 150'F before I leave the driveway most of the time.  Plus there is the thermostat to help with that function. 

To your question I think used is the only option, but you may be able to rebuild it yourself.  New ones are not sold to my knowledge.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

35-709

Agreed!  I wouldn't have one in my car or would at least wire it open.  Unless you insist on complete originality and are willing to watch that thing closely to make sure it does not stick in the closed position, get rid of it.  When they stick closed it is usually due to rust.  I have seen here all too many times owners with a leaking intake manifold at the center port to block gasket inquiring why it happened and how to fix it.  Or just fixing it only to have it happen again because the heat riser was still stuck unknown to the owner or person repairing it.  Some don't know it is there or why. Letting it go unattended will not only cause cracking and a worsening leak, but in time the leaking exhaust will erode away the sealing surfaces on the block and manifold at that point making a repair very difficult when it is finally paid attention to.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Glen

The heat riser is easy to maintain.  Just use a graphite based lubricant that has no oil that will gum up the works when heated by the exhaust.  The last time I lubed the one on my 68 ELDO was about 1975 and it is still working. 

Any time I am under the hood and the engine is cold I flip the weight to be sure it is free. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Scot Minesinger

When Cadillac (and much of GM) changed circa 1970 to add the snorkel damper (mounted at air intake to select between horizontal air from engine compartment to vertical air drawn across exhaust manifold) and abandon the exhaust pipe mounted unit with spring, it operates so that vacuum is connected to a temperature switch mounted in air cleaner housing.  The vacuum is allowed thru switch when engine is not warmed up.  With vacuum applied thru switch the snorkel damper the snorkel damper draws intake air across exhaust manifold.  Once car is warmed up the switch closes and the snorkel damper draws air from engine compartment.  The snorkel damper is linked so that with no vacuum it operates in non-warm up mode, which is good.  Trouble is that darn switch usually fails open, especially new replacement units, which forces car to run in warm up mode always and prone to hot running.  It really cannot be maintained.  I routinely remove and plug vacuum connection to switch, thereby leaving the snorkel damper in the non-warm-up mode.  Plus this make it hand for removing air cleaner housing, no vacuum line to disconnect.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

JoeKarasinski

If all goes according to plan I'm going to drive this car to the GN in 2016 so I may run into some cold temps to start up in. And I just found new ones on the net both original GM and repops.

It's funny that this part is in such bad shape considering the manifold looks so good

Raymond919

I notice that the top one is broken in a few places. I've read of a product called JB Weld. Can this effectively bind the pieces back together?
Ray Schuman

35-709

JB Weld is great stuff but won't work in this situation. 

To Joe K. ----
You don't need the heat riser for cold weather starts, just give the engine a few extra minutes to warm up.  If you really want to have the heat riser, be mindful of it as Glen Houlter suggests.   

Dan LeBlanc

I follow the same routine as Glen.  Every time I check the oil, I always give it a little working back and forth by hand (which is every time before I take the car out) and anytime I have access to it when I'm underneath I always hit it with a few shots of graphite lube.  Hasn't given me any issues yet.  Biggest thing is keep it moving.  Moving it by hand will help keep it moving.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

n2caddies

Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

D.Yaros

Based on my personal experience with brake parts, OPGI = Made in China
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

35-709

Walter Youshock

Can't wait for some Cuban mechanics to chime in someday!  They can revolutionize the way we keep cars running.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

n2caddies

I don't have any connection to OPGI but I see them every year at SEMA and I can see that they have their parts made to their specs and have a high degree of concern regarding quality and consistency in the products they have made. My personal experiences have been very positive.
Randy 
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

JoeKarasinski

I'll let you know how it is when I get it. I ordered it on the 9th. I found NOS ones too but they are over 100 bucks more.

Okay. I would be happy to learn more.
1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

JoeKarasinski

I got the replacement heat riser from opg it looks like it will work just fine. Not an exact copy but close enough for me.