News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1972 Cadillac canister to carb vacuum hose connection

Started by Scot Minesinger, February 09, 2015, 07:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

Working on a 1972 Cadillac Eldorado.  Wow are there a lot of short rubber hoses at the back of the car. 

This car has been neglected and the canister has been disconnected and inoperable.  The rubber vent line at rear of tank connecting to canister was just cut.  Trying to restore back to proper order.  Before I started working on the car it was reported to be driving well, and I know and trust the guy who re-built the carb.  Although he would not know it is incorrect for the year.  All other device hook up, throttle, choke, and etc. as if it was a 1972 carb.  It may be 72 and I just can't find the connection, looking in front.

Anyway it looks like the carb is not a correct 1972 carb (but could be?), perhaps from another year, not sure.  Anyway it is understood that the canister has a carb connection.  I do not see a spare port on the carb to connect it to.  Looks like it is supposed to connect to a port right next to PCV valve hose connection, but it is missing.  In the shop manual it reads that the canister is vented to air cleaner housing.  There is a connection on the air cleaner housing, but my understanding is that is for the leveling air compressor connection.  What would be a suitable connection to carb?  Should I just connect to air cleaner housing with tee?
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Coupe Deville

Hello Scot. This is where the hose is plugged in and routed to my carb on my 72'. No one has changed any vacuum hoses on my car. My carb is original to the car and the canister hose goes to a port just on the left side of the drivers side mixture screw. I hope this helps.

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

TJ Hopland

Make sure the steel line is clear.  If someone cut the hose at the block I wonder if the line was blocked.   Also make sure the canister is intact.   Seen several where the charcoal bag was ruptured and letting little chunks of carbon get sucked into the carb. 

How many ports are on the canister?  If there is 3 then there would be both a high and low connection to the carb.  If there is only 2 then I think its just a higher connection.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Simple question Scott.  What is the number on the carb? Carb number and date code.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Scot Minesinger

Gavin,

Thanks for the pictures, sure looks like I do not have a 72 carb, probably earlier, as this has few connections and the 72-76 had multiple connections.

TJ Hopland,

I just blew out the line from canister to rear of car and changed rubber hoses.  Will clean canister and replace filter element.

Greg,

Carb number is 7029232, and then also the number 1647 is below that number.

Thanks,

Scot

savemy67

Hello Scot,

My reference information indicates that number carb is most likely from a 69 Cadillac, but it may have been installed on some Pontiacs.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Scott,
No wonder you have no "evap" connection.   Those numbers show a 1969 Cadillac and the date of manufacturer was the 163rd. day of 1967.  Go figure.  At best it is a carb set up for a high compression 472 and jetted accordingly.  If you want to hook the car back up as intended you need a later (1972) carb. The carb should have an idle stop solenoid and ports for timed vacuum, choke pull-off, PCV, Emissions (fuel tank vapor), and manifold vacuum for spark advance under warm conditions. The Eldo used a #7042232.  If you want I will take a picture of one off my 72 Eldo I had ready to install before it took it's trip to Quatar.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Scot Minesinger

Greg,

Thanks, thought the carb was wrong when I saw all those missing connections.  I do not have the car running yet, but should in a week.  The salt on roads has been here all this time, so cannot road test.  Like to try and keep this carb if possible.  If it does not run well, then I have a place to start.

I will use the ported vacuum switch and can connect to manifold vacuum and ported vacuum, so should be OK there.  PCV valve does have a connection, so good there.  There is no choke pull off, no idle stop solenoid, and no connection for canister system that I would like to hook up. 

Back to the question of where to hook it up.  It states in shop manual that it needs to be hooked to air cleaner.  I think that I can just put a tee in there for the canister where it is connected to level control, so should be OK- do you agree?

The owner wants a good running reliable car for the least amount of money like most people, so if the metering for high compression is a problem with carb and it does not run well, then may considering buying a 72 carb, rebuilding it and installing.

Thanks,

Scot

R Schroeder

This is a hook up for a 77. Don't know if it will help you or not.
Roy

Scot Minesinger

Roy,

I have this diagram, guess best thing to do is hook up to air cleaner housing as there is no connection at carb, and I am reluctant to tee into PCV valve vacuum line.  The shop manual does state that canister is evacuated by air cleaner housing connection when car is running.  Unless anyone writes to proceed differently, that is how I will proceed.

Scott,
You run it to the air cleaner and you are creating a dangerous situation. Either hook it up correctly (change carb) or just correctly disable the ELC system.  If you do so chances are great that in warm weather since the fuel tank cap is un-vented, you will pressurize the fuel tank enought to "pop" some of the hoses off.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

mgbeda

Sounds like the cheap way out is to get a '69 gas cap to go with the '69 carb.  Do they have the same threads, etc. between '69 and '72?

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

Mike,
I believe they made sure the vented caps were not used on an emission controlled vehicle was to be sure the caps did not interchange.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Scot Minesinger

Greg,

The PCV connection looks like it is connected to the same place on carb (same chamber), what about connecting a tee there?  The caps for the 69 and 70 do interchange with 72, but they are not vented.  The gas tanks for 69 and 70 are vented with gooseneck vent on back of tank near rear axle.

Not a good idea Scott. Think about it. When the engine is off, the fumes from the tank will enter the crankcase vent.  I suggest you get a later carb with the correct fittings. ANY (Cadillac) 71-73 will be better than what you have now. (IMHO)
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Scot Minesinger

OK, now I understand why the canister system was disconnected.  Looks like my only option is to change to a proper carb if I want this system functioning as intended in 1972.