News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1972 Cadillac Eldorado exhaust - need exhaust pipe install/fix expierence

Started by Scot Minesinger, February 11, 2015, 01:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

Working on getting all mechanical issues resolved on a 72 Eldorado so it is near perfect mechanically.

Anyway the "Y" pipe was not well installed previously and it is in contact with the torsion bar suspension on both sides.  The photo was taken with jack stands on frame, all 4 tires off the ground.

It looks like I could put a jack and block of wood under each side of the exhaust pipe and persuade it upwards (slight bend, just 1/2" needed) as a resolution.  However, this would strain the cast iron tabs that secure the studs on the exhaust manifold, and I do not want to replace that manifold.  The exhaust manifold gaskets were just replaced a few months ago by others so I could probably loosen the two studs, reposition Y pipe and re-tighten.  Any ideas aside from major exhaust work? 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

savemy67

Scot,

I think you are on the right tack.  If the stud bosses on the exhaust manifolds are of concern, I would disconnect the exhaust pipe at the Y pipe, loosen the stud nuts, and wiggle the exhaust end of the Y pipe to increase clearance at the torsion bars.  The photo shows the frame relief in the Y pipe so it looks as if the Y pipe is not hanging properly at the exhaust manifolds.  Do I recall correctly that the Y pipe joint at the exhaust manifold uses a thick, bevel-edged gasket?  If so, you should have enough play to adjust the Y pipe without losing the gas seal at the joint, especially since the gaskets are only a few months old.  Good luck.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

The Tassie Devil(le)

Looking at the condition of the pipe, it looks like it will soon need replacing anyway.

If it was bent up incorrectly in the first place, then you will have trouble relocating it, as it still has to attach to the tail pipe after it is re-tightened onto the manifolds.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Looking at the condition of the pipe, I bet if you loosen the exhaust bolts and look where the pipe was hitting the torsion bar you will have your answer.  I'd bet that pipe is worn enough to warrant its replacing.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Scott,
If you haven't already, what you will fined when you loosen the head pipe flange bolts and drop the flanges is that the pipe itself seals between the flange and the "ball end of the exhaust manifold.  As such there is a lot of adjustment to the assembly, and as you said, someone recently undid these connections, and probably either did not know or did not care about lining them up.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Scot Minesinger

You guys were right, there was enough adjustment to get an inch of clearance between torsion bars and exhaust pipe by just loosening the nuts on exhaust manifold studs, lifting up exhaust system and tightening back down.  One of the easiest repairs on this car.  One of the stud nuts was not even tight, so it should be quieter too.

About half way finished on this car.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty