News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cadillac engine mock up question

Started by rburgeno, February 12, 2015, 10:21:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rburgeno

Good morning everyone. Can I use a 1963 Cadillac motor for mock-up if I'm planing on using a 1962 Cadillac motor ? I hope this makes sense.

RB

936CD69

Although the 62 and 63 engines both displace 390 cu in, the 63 is an entirely different architecture. Motor Mounting is probably similar, as would the transmission

HTH
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

rburgeno

Thank you for your fast response but I'm confused by your answer. Your saying that the engines are different architecture but your also saying that they are similar. So can I use the 63 block for mock up and then slip in the 62 block ?

RB

936CD69

Sorry. someone else would need to answer that. The 63 engine was completely new. If you are asking if the motor mountings are in the same position, I don't know for sure. Since the frames were the same, I would assume so, but we all know what assume means..LOL
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

savemy67

Hello RBurgeno,

Do you plan on using a fully accessorized (exhaust manifolds, water pump/fan, distributor, carb/air cleaner, generator, etc) 63 engine for your mock up?  If so, you are probably OK, but there may be slight differences between a 63 engine bay and a 62 engine bay.   Pay attention to the accessory locations farthest from the center point of the engine relative to the motor mounts (exhaust, generator or air conditioning brackets, air cleaner, oil pan, fan, etc.).  If you are only going to use the block, you may run into issues.  Will the 62 have air conditioning?  Will it be a stock motor?  If you plan on any modifications, you may want to post on the Modified Chapter discussion forum.  For an answer here, you may need to be more thorough in explaining what it is that you are trying to accomplish.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Scot Minesinger

It is encouraging, but cannot confirm positively.  Looked in shop manual for 1962 and 1963 and pictorially they look identically mounted.  The parts sources show 62 and 63 as same mounts in front.  The 62/63 frames/chassis are extremely similar.

The engines are different, as the distributor is in front in 1963, and in back for 1962, so way different.  However mounting looks very similar.

It is worth pursuing further to a certainty.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Dan LeBlanc

Although architecturally different, the 63 engine will drop into a 61-2 chassis with no modification.  The transmissions were the same in both years.  Successful swaps have been done dropping a 63 engine into these cars.  I know of a couple off hand that were done.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

SixDucks

Hello all,
I believe the '63 engine has a shorter deck height than the '62 engine.
Hope this helps.
Terry
Current:
1941 coupe
1962 Fleetwood
1988 Brougham
Previous:
1956 Series 62 Sedan
1963 Fleetwood
1975 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance
1989 Brougham