News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1981 Seville question

Started by g27g28, February 13, 2015, 10:16:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

g27g28

There is an 81 Seville for sale over in the non commercial section that says it has the V864.  There is an interior shot attached and it shows the car does not have the fuel data center in the center of the dash.  My question is did 81 Sevilles not have data centers.  I would have thought they would use the same as the Eldo.  I know V6 and diesel did not have data centers. 
1941 Series 62
1954 Coupe DeVille
1978 Phaeton
1980 Fleetwood

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Good catch.

It most certainly should have the Fuel Data Center is equipped with V8-6-4. The blocking plate shown on that car would only appear on cars equipped with V-6 or diesel.

(Diesel was the standard power plant on 1980 & 1981 Seville; V8-6-4 and V-6 were credit options).

A diesel car should also have identification "Diesel" plaques on front fenders, decklid and on passenger side of dash. V-6 cars would have "4.1 V-6" plaques on front fenders only - or front fender V8-6-4 plaques, if equipped.

This car has no engine plaques at all.

The VIN will positively identify which engine was installed when the car was built.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

TJ Hopland

Edit:  I typed too slow and pretty much said the same stuff as above.....   I didn't remember a V6 badge.

Interesting catch.  You are correct the 8-6-4 did have the MPG Sentinel, for the 8-6-4 models it had an extra button marked 'active cylinders' that when selected would display 8 6 or 4.    Also correct that the diesel or V6 didn't have it.    The 80 DEFI Eldos and the 4100's had the same display but only 3 buttons.   I don't think it was an option, if you had any form of DEFI engine you got it.

I think there was more than one car for sale, perhaps the 'notes' the poster got from the museum got a little mixed up?   I looked at the Eldo and that too is missing it which would be correct since they stated its a V6 model.    Looking at the overall photo of the Seville I don't see any fender badge which I was thinking indicated the V6.   The Eldo has a badge which conflicts with my thought that the V6's didn't have a badge.  The badge on the Eldo does not look large enough to be the V8-6-4 and that had the big V that was larger in the middle.  The Eldo badge almost looks like the diesel one but I doubt someone would forget about having that option. 

Perhaps JD will see this and be able to verify the cars equipment and clear up the confusion / curiosity.     
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Slight correction: 1980 fuel data panel had two buttons (DEFI Eldorado/Seville); 1981 panel had four (V8-6-4).

Lack of "Diesel" plaque on dash suggests a V-6 car.

Could also be a diesel conversion with all plaques removed.

Need the VIN! 

TJ Hopland

I forgot that the 'range' button came with 4100's?   The 80/81 just did current or average? 

TJ Hopland

Did the Seville's not have the Seville script to the right of the glove box like the Eldo's? 

Quote from: TJ Hopland on February 13, 2015, 11:16:51 AM
I forgot that the 'range' button came with 4100's?   The 80/81 just did current or average?

1980 - Average; Reset (2 buttons)

1981 - Instant/Average (dual function button); Range; Active Cylinders; Reset (4 buttons)

1982 - 1985 (RWD) - Instant/Average (dual); Reset; Fuel Used/Range (dual) (3 buttons)

*1981 - Range calculated on the average since last reset;

4100 - Range calculated by the average of the last 10 miles of driving. Resetting the average mileage has no effect on range display on 4100 cars unlike 1981.

*Incidentally I had discovered if you depress RESET while in the RANGE display mode, panel will display the amount of gallons (to the 1/10) on 4100 cars. It's not mentioned in the manual.

Quote from: TJ Hopland on February 13, 2015, 11:19:40 AM
Did the Seville's not have the Seville script to the right of the glove box like the Eldo's?

Correct. That also appears to be missing from the car in question. 

TJ Hopland

He did check and it turns out that the Seville is also a V6.