News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1972 Cadillac Eldorado front suspension control arm bushings

Started by Scot Minesinger, February 14, 2015, 06:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

Trying to make this 72 Eldorado mechanically great.  In replacing the torn outer CV boot on driver side, the shaft was removed and the control arm bushings do not look in great shape (they are going to have to be replaced eventually).  The upper control arm had to be disconnected (maybe more skilled mechanics would not have to) from knuckle to get shaft out.  Shaft has new CV boot and it is ready to go back on the car.

Since everything is opened up so to speak, probably should replace them.

Reading the shop manual special tools are required.  Normally I can make the special tools, but these look more difficult to make.  Has anyone done this job and are the tools available to buy?  Did you make the tools?  Please let me know your experience.

Thanks,

Scot 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Glen

I remove and install the bushings with a tool I made.  It consists of a threaded rod and a set of cups (made from tubing and washers).  The rod goes through the bushings and the cups go on either side.  The ID of the cup on the receiving side must be a bit larger than the bushing and its flange.  The OD of the cup on the driving side must be small enough to go into the control arm but large enough to engage the bushing.  Then I tighten the nuts on the rod which drives the bushing out.  As you probably know you also have to prevent the arm from collapsing when you press the busing out.  I use a coupling nut (long nut to couple threaded rods together) with a bolt in it.  I put this between the two sides of the arm and turn the bolt out to be in tight contact. 

The coupling nut and bolt trick also makes tiny jacks for all kinds of tasks. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Scot Minesinger

Glen,

Thanks was hoping not to make this tool as you did, but that appears to be the way to go.  I pressed out and back in several sets of bushings on RWD Cadillacs and familiar with the do not collapse the control arms concept/technique when pressing bushings out and back in.

Thanks,

Scot

beastly beauties

Scott,  Glen has the easiest  and most cost effective solution I've also used. I found everything I needed at Loews. I found some heavy steel threaded pipes that I used as plungers, one for the OD and the other for the ID.  I think I also had some pieces of 1/4" plates I cut up. You might consider replacing them all while your getting in there. The bushings are reasonable and still readily available. It will ride much better and save your tires from excessive wear when you get it realigned.   Good Luck, David

Scot Minesinger

David,

Yes, rubber suspension bushing replacements make a wonderful driving car.  My Cadillac friends (who own circa 1970 era Cadillacs) cannot believe how tight and nice my RWD 1970 Caddy drives with the replaced front suspension bushings.

I found the two "prevent the arms from collapsing during pressing" pieces and the "engage bushing" piece on e-bay for way cheaper than my time to make them (all part of that Kent Moore J-22222  family).  I just need to make the cup piece, which is the easiest- pipe and plate or sacrifice 12 point 2-5/8"socket.

Looking forward to completing this project. 

bcroe

Good advice, all those old cars need new bushings (and other things) even if the mileage is
too low to wear out any well greased ball joints.  Pic of the same job on my 79 Eldo, look
closely for the curved piece of metal inserted into the arm to avoid collapse.  Bruce Roe

Scot Minesinger

Found that Kent Moore tool on line (the 5 or 6 piece set in shop manual) to press out and re-install the bushings.  It really was a let down, the threaded rod is just not adequate to press out lower control arm bushings.  I bought the tool to save time, but alas had to make my own jig and tools to make it work.  Here is the picture of pressing out lower control arm bushings.  Should have just proceeded without the tool.  It really taxed the physical dimensions of the 12 ton manual press, but everything worked out.  Kent Moore usually is good to go.