News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1963 hdramatic transmission question

Started by mikecoil, February 16, 2015, 09:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikecoil

I have a 1963 convertible coupe with hydramatic (jetaway) transmission. I have just replaced a broken detent roller spring with hopes of getting her back on the road soon. I havent put the pan back on and filled up with fluid yet because I noticed that after hooking back up the linkage for drive selector arm that when I try shifting it moves fine until I hit the dr4 detent and then it wants to spring itself right down into reverse at the bottom of the selector travel. Any input as to why its doing this will be greatly appreciated as I want to get the transmissiion covered back up. Thanks,Mike

russ austin

Did you follow the shop manual when putting the parts back together? 
R.Austin

mikecoil

yes .It was a pain but I was able to get the old broken one out and put the new one in without taking servos out or taking anything else apart. Do you think it migt be upside down? The new roller assembly has a bend at the roller. I installed it with the bent down part toward te detents in the transmission

J. Gomez

Mike,

The roller shows to ride on the detent control groves per Fig. 32 -> http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/documents/Multiple_Years/57-64%20Hydra%20Service/tn/57-64%20Hydra%20Svc-9.jpg.html

Do you feel the same tension by manually moving the lever at the tranny through the full range without the linkage attached?
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

mikecoil

Sorry for the delay. Yes when I move it by hand from park through neutral is fine. But as soon as I hit Dr4 it springs right down to reverse at the bottom

Roger Zimmermann

Obviously, you did an error. This system is fool proof as I can remember. Have a look at the shop manual for the installation details. I have to confess that I never assembled that system on a transmission installed in a car; I did that when the transmission is upside down on the bench.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

russ austin

Take the part off, that you put on, and see if you can duplicate the problem. If not, figure out what you did wrong.
R.Austin