News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Carb Experts Needed: 1956 Cadillac Dual Quad Setup Question

Started by chstitans42, February 17, 2015, 07:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chstitans42

Hey guys, I am needing a little information on the dual carb set up I have on my 1956 Cadillac, especially with the dual choke system.  As you can see in the picture below, there is a tube that runs from one choke housing to the other.

That tube is missing from the carbs that I have. What I am wondering is how do the chokes operate? I am used to heated ones, and cannot see on the above pic how those cold possibly get enough heat without the end of the tube connecting to something. Is there a piece missing that connects to the exhaust manifold somewhere? I am assuming that this part is super hard to find, and I should go about figuring out a way to fab up one of my own. Any help would be appreciated!

The Tassie Devil(le)

From my knowledge about multi carb set-ups, there is only one choke on the Primary Carb.

As for the tubing in the picture, it doesn't work like that.   The tube goes from the Carby Choke mechanism down to the Exhaust Manifold, or the Intake Cross-over where it receives heat to operate the bi-metallic spring that is within the choke.

Plus, in multi carb set-ups, where there is one choke, there is a progressive linkage between the two, or three carbies to only work the primary carb at low speeds, and on start-up.

The only time that the carbs should ever be synchronised in the throttle department is on the race track, be it road, or water.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bobby B

Ben,
Found this, but don't know if it's correct or not.
                                                Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

57 Eldo Seville

Here is a picture that I took during a recent updating on my 1957 Seville.

Dave Morris
Dave Morris
CLC#28497
1957 Eldorado Seville
2020 CT5-V

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on February 17, 2015, 10:09:27 PM
From my knowledge about multi carb set-ups, there is only one choke on the Primary Carb.

Bruce, it's not always that way! However, you are correct on the 3-carb set-up. Only the one in the center has a choke.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Roger,

Yes, saw that, and I am now further edumacated.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

David King (kz78hy)

There is a heat chamber on the RH exhaust manifold.  A cast recess with a plate/cover and 5 bolts.  There is place for the tube to go in and a swivel hook that keeps the tube in place.  The hook is probably rusted and gone.

Below is photo of my '58 Brougham engine.  You can zoom in on the manifold and tube.  I made the tube and soldered on a washer on the tube since I could not upset a flange on the end of the tube like the factory did.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter