News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1931 Cadillac heater

Started by hudson1948, February 19, 2015, 10:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hudson1948

Was there a factory heater option in 1931. If so does anyone have one for sale. You can call also at 631-738-7712 ask for Charlie
Charles Salvato, 1948 Hudson Commodore 8 convertible, 1950 Hudson Commodore 6 sedan, 1942 Hudson Deluxe 6 coupe, 1946 Chevrolet 1/2 ton pick up

Chris Cummings

Charlie,

I don't have one for sale, but in 1931, Cadillac offered two different types of heaters.  One blew air past a finned core through which engine coolant flowed (so-called "hot water heater") and the other blew air through a chamber surrounding the exhaust pipe and into the passenger compartment (so-called "Kelch" or "hot air" heater).  The Kelch heater died out as an authorized accessory for readily apparent reasons.  The hot water heater is basically the same principle as the heaters used in modern cars.

You can find the hot water heater units occasionally on eBay, at swap meets, and in club and enthusiast publications.  The Kelch heaters are mostly gone now, except that you sometimes see the floor registers and occasionally the blower motors for sale.

Hope that helps,

Chris Cummings

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Chris,
Nice concise explanation.
Charlie,
I have a rear floor register unit for sale. No other parts. Please contact me directly at bobscads@comcast.net
Thanks, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

31caddy

My understanding is that although hot water heaters were mentioned as available options in 1931, they were in fact dealer installed after market (Tropicair or Hadees) units. Previous info I have seen indicated that the large "chrome" finished unit with the Cadillac logo came out in 1932.  I installed a restored Hadees unit in my '31 sedan and am very pleased with it - it warms the car very nicely. It is a Hadees Deluxe model, and although period correct, it would be a few years later than '31. I feel that the color/finish of it fit in well with the '31 interior. I have seen the ones with the logo on them a few times on ebay, but not installed in a car. Their large size and shape makes me think they would not install neatly under the rather cramped '31 dash. I attached some pics of my installation, and can get some of the hose installation if anyone is interested. I used brass Sherman clamps and the wrapped black hose from restoration supply.
R. Rowland CLC #28971

1931 Model 355A Sedan (Recently sold)
1931 Model 355A Fleetwood 4535 Convertible Coupe
2005 Cadillac XLR

31caddy

There is a 1932 Cadillac 370B sedan for sale right now on ebay. About the 8th or 9th photo in the ad is an excellent shot of the factory supplied heater that I tried to describe in my previous post. I do believe 1932 was the first year for this. Good pictures of these heaters are hard to come by.
I do not know how to do a link. If another member could do so/add that picture to this thread, it would be a valuable reference for the membership in the future. The ebay item number is 251886875262. Thanks in advance!!!
R. Rowland CLC #28971

1931 Model 355A Sedan (Recently sold)
1931 Model 355A Fleetwood 4535 Convertible Coupe
2005 Cadillac XLR

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.