News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

What is this part from? Vent? What year?

Started by 55 cadi, February 19, 2015, 07:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

55 cadi

Hello all,

When I purchased my Cadillac it had this vent piece attached to the rear seat at the bottom by your feet.  There are no vents going through the rear seat or vents going to the rear seat and do not see in the shop manual for this option on my cadi.

What year is it for and where does it go?

I have a 55 sedan wA/C  331cu
Thank you.
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

Jon S

Looks like the vent for the rear heat on a 1957/1958. If so, mounts in the door pillat between front and rear door on a 4 door.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

55 cadi

Thanks Jon,

I just added because I forgot, I have a 55 so this part like I believed was added where it is not used.
On my 55 the heat vent for the rear area comes out of the front door at the back of door, and does not go through the pillar.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?
Picture is where it was

Thank you
2005 Cadillac deville

J. Gomez

The two openings at the bottom of the rear seat are for the A/C return air flow. The rear evaporator openings intakes are behind the rear back seat for the cold air recirculation.

Those are for A/C cars only from what I recall.

HTH
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

55 cadi

Ok,
My interior was redone in the 80's, not original so whoever redid it took the pieces out and just attached the vent to the seat, without even cutting cloth away.
But I don't see where it would connect to the A/C system, I will check closer.
what was there? a vent tube then that went from the return vent in the seat all the way up to the rear evaporator? Or nothing at all and air just found its way.

Thanks for the input,

It is hard imagine a vent going to the rear with the way the seats in place, very little room for anything, and I can't find anything that shows that set up.

I will take seats apart and really look at it in a different way.

Thanks
Jason
2005 Cadillac deville

J. Gomez

Jason,

There are no tubes at these locations.

The flow from inside the cabin goes in these openings at the seat floor, up the back of the seat and into the openings at the evaporator.

The attached diagram is a rough flow for the return path at the bottom and back side of the rear seat.

There should be a foam gasket between the evaporator and the back board around the opening for the return air flow keeps the two sealed.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

55 cadi

Thank you Mr Gomez,

That shows exactly what I needed to see.

It just didn't seem to be able to get enough air flow back there, it is all covered up pretty good, but  I guess that vent at the bottom is enough for system.

Thanks again for your great info and help.

Jason
2005 Cadillac deville

gary griffin

It also looks like the vent in the bulkhead of my 1942  6710. The purpose is for the heat form the underseat heaters get into the rear cabin.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver