News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Electronic points conversion

Started by Tpicks55, February 19, 2015, 09:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tpicks55

Interested in converting the points to electronic ignition on my 75 Eldorado convertible.  Any recommendations as to best one to use? vendor? Thanks in advance.
75 Eldorado Convertible
94 Deville Concurs
2019 Lincoln Continental
2016 Cadillac XTS

Caddyjack

A '75 should already have electronic ignition. Perhaps yours is actually a '74?
Jack Larson
Philadelphia, PA

Rdtreur

1975 should be electronic. There is a vendor at ebay who is selling brand new HEI dizzy's for 159, - dollar, 199 with the wires ! No idea if they are any good but a lot cheaper than the 350,- MSD ones.
R.D. Treur
Past caddy’s:
‘68 convertible ‘70 Eldorado,  ‘75 sedan, ‘75 Fleetwood

TJ Hopland

The factory 'electronic' distributor was called the HEI.   Its got the fairly large distributor cap with the square coil in the cap.   The earlier ones were smaller and had the usual round coil mounted near the distributor. 

A 75 would have come with the HEI and a single belt for the AC and PS.  I suppose its possible someone in the past didn't like the electronics and put a points distributor in.  IF you have the single belt setup you should be able to buy and install an HEI.   If you don't have the single belt I would start to suspect you have an earlier motor which can either get something like a petronix or an HEI with slight mods.

If you can post a few pictures I'm sure we can get you some educated guesses as to what you have going on there.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

76eldo

Here are two images of Cadillac distributors.

I would bet that you have an HEI electronic distributor in your car, unless it's pre-75.  Many people have converted older point type distributors to the HEI but I can't imagine anyone going the other way and installing an older style distributor.  This would entail changing wires and plugs too.  The top image is what you probably have, the one below that is a 1970 engine with points.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Tpicks55

thanks for all the replies.  As it turns out I do have the HEI. I relied on a guy who told me iI needed to do that change.  Well, onw prob solved.  Thanks again.
75 Eldorado Convertible
94 Deville Concurs
2019 Lincoln Continental
2016 Cadillac XTS