News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Fuel Door Spring 1960 Eldorado

Started by Whit, February 26, 2015, 04:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whit

Might anyone know where to look to find a replacement spring for the fuel door on my 1960 Eldorado? I also need the flat head screws with the spring clip on them that hold the rear 'grill' onto the body and fuel door. Is it a shot in the dark, or is there a 'gittin' place'?

Thanks   Whit

59-in-pieces

Whit,
I though I would post a photo of what the 59 gas door spring looks like.
Maybe it is the same - I don't, but it might get somebody to remember seeing one and help you out.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Whit

Steve:

Mine is the same, only broken. Thanks for posting the photo...it helps me see how it was positioned. I will try to find a spring that will do the same job.

Thanks again              Whit

59-in-pieces

Whit,
Here is another photo that shows how the other end of the spring is attached to the fuel door itself.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Ken Perry

I thought I seen somewhere that someone was making those,but I sure can't remember where :(  Seems like if a guy was to make it out of regular wire and then temper it,that  it would work ??? Ken Perry
Cadillac Ken

Whit

Steve...thanks for the additional photo...very helpful.

Ken...would be great to find this guy...or a spring somewhere. Not having a torsion spring like that, it's hard to know how the door is held closed and then stays open when pulled open. The direction of the winding and whether or not its a 90 degree or a 180 degree torsion spring may be key. I assume that it 'snaps' over center to remain open and then is under compression when closed. Hard to figure out without having the spring.

Thanks to all for the input.

Whit

Jeff Wilk

Try here. They have them. Good luck.

www.cprforyourcar.com
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Whit

J Wilk:

I checked their web site and they do have them. Thank you for the lead...I will call them tomorrow morning.

Regards   Whit