News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

New topic for a Caddy that has been sitting?

Started by Davidrubin, February 27, 2015, 05:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davidrubin

Message Body:
Dave,sorry to bother you at work. Wondering if you can help me determine correct engine oil for my 365 ,Cady.Original engine , not rebuilt, been sitting quite some time

Hi all, I am posting this question for someone else.  Any preferences for this engine?
thanks!!

35-709

10W-30 IMO --- and a fresh oil filter if the full flow spin-on type.  That engine should be pre-oiled as much as possible before starting is attempted.  If it were mine, I would at least pull the spark plugs and motor the engine with the starter (and a healthy battery) until oil pressure is noted and then (giving the starter a cool off break once in a while) continue to motor the engine for a few minutes before putting the plugs back in and attempting a start.  Might consider pouring in a 1/4 to half pint of Marvel Mystery Oil slowly in the carburetor also before and while motoring the engine as a top lube before attempting a start.  Be prepared for lots of smoke when it starts and don't gun the engine --- keep it to more or less an idle speed until it is warmed up some.     
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Quentin Hall

I'd be taking off the rocker covers and winding over by hand prior to check for bent pushrods or stuck valves. At tap on the top of the rocker arms over each spring, with a small hammer, will tell you if they are free or stuck. I would liberally oil the rocker assemblies and into the pushrod tunnels.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz