News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Original Pin Stripe size for 1976

Started by Jeff Moffo, March 10, 2016, 11:09:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Moffo

Good Morning,

If anyone has a 1976 Coupe DeVille with its original pin striping, would you be kind enough to let me know the correct size?  i.e. the total width - and the width of the two stripes and the gap between them.

Thanks so much.  I am trying to replace mine, and there are several different sizes on the web! WOW! ???

Jeff
Jeff M
North Jersey
Best of all, it's a Cadillac....
'76 Coupe DeVille - Claret (Sold)
'73 Series 60 Fleetwood (Sold)
'76 Coupe DeVille-Dunbarton Green

Gary C

Jeff,
Mine has original pinstriping.  I'll get the measurements for you.  I'll post a few photos as well.
Current
'76 Coupe Deville EFI 13K miles
'65 Chevelle Malibu SS code 138 40K miles
'70 Nova SS 36K miles
'13 Corvette Grand Sport 7K miles
Past
'70 Coupe Deville
'73 Coupe Deville
'75 Coupe Deville
'75 Coupe Deville (gone to Verdal, Norway)
'73 Coupe Deville

Jeff Moffo

That's it! 
Trying to get a body shop to do this is nearly impossible.  None of them want to do a job this small :(

I may give it a shot myself if I could locate the correct tape and size.

Yours is tape, right?  My first 76 had its original paint and stripe but I cannot remember if it was paint or tape.
Best,
Jeff
Jeff M
North Jersey

Gary C

Yes, it's tape. It's one piece where it joins at the ends and at the center of the trunk.   For aftermarket tape, you will have to join the two pieces at the end and overlay.  Not home right now. I'll get more pics and measurements later.
Current
'70 Nova SS 36K miles
Past
'70 Coupe Deville
'73 Coupe Deville
'75 Coupe Deville
'73 Coupe Deville

Gary C

Here are the measurements: Top Stripe:  1/8",  Space Between: 1/8",  Bottom Stripe: 1/16".  The 1/8" stripe tapers down to 1/16" just before they join, but with aftermarket tape, you will have to just join the 1/8" and the 1/16" at the end.  Here are more photos as well.  Sorry, my car is Phoenician ivory with white pinstripe so not much contrast for the photos. 
Current
'70 Nova SS 36K miles
Past
'70 Coupe Deville
'73 Coupe Deville
'75 Coupe Deville
'73 Coupe Deville

Jeff Moffo

Mr. G,

Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.

I have pictures of my first '76 with its stripe, but not close enough.  It was claret, but the stripe was white like yours.  That car had such an eye-catching color. 

I have seen the NOS pin striping on Ebay once in a blue moon (or parts of a complete set) and realized it must have come from a set that Cadillac made.  I am going to attempt the tape myself...maybe because God only knows how in the world I would find an original set for my car in the CORRECT color!  Talk about the proverbial needle in the haystack.  Even finding the color online is always a crap shoot.

Once again, thanks so much for taking the time to do the measurements.
Have a good weekend.  Hopefully, you are in a region where you can enjoy your car now that winter is coming to an end. 8)

Jeff M
North Jersey