News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Javits Center Auto Show 2015

Started by Jon S, February 28, 2015, 11:52:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon S

As has been the case for the past 59 years, I will be attending the Javits Center Auto Show (previously N Y Coliseum) in Manhattan.  I find each year I have less and less enthusiasm to go as the theme (from my perspective) has changed from seeing the "future" with the concept cars, new engines, new options, new designs to more of a mundane prospective buying opportunity to see all the brands without having to visit many showrooms.

Granted there will be some yet to be released models on display and for fun one can ride in a Jeep over their obstacle course.  (That's fun to do once).  What I find amazing is that with all the attendees, I consistently run into people I know no matter which day I pick to go.

After making all the rounds, my sons and I stop for a nice lunch and discuss the show.  Interestingly, the conversation normally focuses on the Corvette, Camaro, Mustang and Challenger.  We normally are disappointed in the Cadillac, Lincoln, and Mercedes, but like what we saw from BMW and Audi.  Years ago, all the GM lines caught our attention and Chrysler ALWAYS surprised us with a fantastic Concept car.

I guess I miss what a car used to represent and have to get used to the more mundane aspects that it is a transportation vehicle to the greater population with some exciting models for the affluent.  Unfortunately, the mini vans and SUV's get lots of attention.  I for one still focus on the sportier American cars and keep hoping to see some Cadillacs that will turn my head.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Rich S

You may be "in luck" this year, as Cadillac Motor Division has announced the official "reveal" of the new CT6 Sedan will be held on March 31, 2015, at the New York Auto Show! Please report back on your impressions. I read somewhere that although the styling is similar to the other models (ATS and CTS and XTS), the proportions and "stance" of the car make it quite beautiful, along with a very spectacular interior. I sure wish Cadillac the best with respect to success, for my favorite marque! Incidentally, at the Pittsburgh Auto Show around two weeks ago, Ford had a "driving simulator" for a racing car experience, and it looked kind of cool, with videos around where the driver was buckled into a seat that gyrated and moved, etc. Of course, there was a long line to wait in to experience it, but at least I give them credit for offering something a little different to attendees.
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Jon,
Enjoy what you have. In this years Auto Show here in San Antonio, Cadillac did not even have a spot.  I guess they were Daring greatly.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

59-in-pieces

I couldn't agree with you more.  Maybe because I remember the GM Motoramas, or I'm getting jaded in my old age.  The car shows are vanilla or oatmeal at best.

If the accountants and government have their way, this may be the only thing we get to see at the car shows - see pic.
And, exterior paint may be the only design innovation - short of unique after market bolt-ons.

By the way, if you want to see what could be the future and cutting edge - go to SEMA, Nov 3 - Nov 6 in the Las Vegas Convention Center.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Here's a preview from this month's Automobile magazine. Bears a resemblance to an Audi A8
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon