News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1966 door jam switch and wiring diagram

Started by laura, March 05, 2015, 03:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laura

We're having trouble correctly wiring the drivers door jam switch for a 66 De Ville Convert. We repaired the switch, hooked them up and get nothing. Anyone have a suggestion. We bought another switch DSP 172 but that didn't help, which is why we repaired the old one. Would appreciate any suggestions. Also, if someone has a simple wiring diagram that would be helpful. I know all of the wires should be to ground.

Thanks,

Richard A. De Vito Sr
radsr@pnpco.com

n2caddies

I would think if you touch the wire that connects to the switch to ground it should light up the courtesy lights. Check the bulbs. Does it work on the other doors?
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

laura

Thanks. We have three wires coming into the switch. Question is do we tie all three together.  By grounding them we get nothing. We are presuming we have a break in the wires. Some other wires were damaged. Do you know what the wiring diagram should look like? Good point about checking on the bulbs. Sometimes we forget about the most basic things.

Thanks for your help.

Richard

Lucas Feininger #15674

Do lights work when passenger door is open? Or when headlight switch is rotated?
Lucas Feininger
1965 Sedan de Ville
1965 Eldorado
2014 SRX
CLC #15674

"The only way to travel is Cadillac style"

n2caddies

I don't have a manual for your year. If it's anything like the 59 or 64 ones I do have they are crazy hard to see with these old eyes. I would order one for your 66 from one of the vendors in Hemmings magazine or off ebay and get a magnifying glass. You will find it indispensable as  you work on your car. The lights should come on when you open the other passenger door or rotate the light switch. If not check your fuses and from there you will have to start tracing wires. The bulbs should be the single filament with the double contacts one for ground the other for 12V. Remove the bulb and see if one of the contacts in the socket is hot with a tester. If so you have a ground issue. Cadillacs are good for having ground problems as they get older.
Good luck!
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

laura

Thanks. I have the 66 factory manual. Have a problem locating the wiring from that switch. I have three wires coming thru the switch opening. Don't know where they are supposed to go to. I'll try all suggestions. Thanks. Will also make sure  ground is ok. Sometimes the ground strap gets crappy on GM cars. Have had that problem before on a  Pontiac.

Richard De Vito Sr

n2caddies

I believe the three wires are grounds to each of the courtesy lights in the door panels  and the light behind the front seat on the convertibles. May also turn on the map light on the dash as well.
Regardless, if you ground those wires something should come on. Gotta love these old cars!!
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX