News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

soft clunk in 390

Started by gouldsom, March 06, 2015, 10:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gouldsom

Hi
I have a 59, that has a slightly tired engine. Let me explain that when I bought the car, the engine had been seized for about ten years.
Just so I could get it mobile, temporarily, I pulled the heads and got a machine shop to give them a quick valve job.
I unseized the engine by soaking the pistons and using a power bar to finally break the pistons free and get the engine to turn.
Upon reassembly the engine fired right up and actually ran quite well. The more it runs the better it gets, it has almost stopped fuming out the crankcase breather, and new leads points and plugs have done wonders.
The only thing I notice is when it gets fully heated up, and the oil is hot,  it has a soft INTERMITENT clunk.
A friend suggested, that maybe it is the oil filter is banging in its canister as I know the often missing spacer at the bottom of the filter , is indeed missing.

gouldsom

Soft clunk part two
Accidently posted before I finished.
Anyone else noticed this, I don't want to run the engine if it is doing it harm, at least till it gets the big rebuild.
It has air ride and air con. I have replaced the timing chain, and it has good oil pressure.
Thanks Richard

Jon S

Doubt it's the oil filter which is secured in place by a top spring in the housing.  Need more information . . .
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

76eldo

Does it follow the RPM up and down?  How much have you run it since getting it started?

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Bobby B

Is it a dull thud coming from the bottom of the oil pan? Need more info….How about a sound byte?
                                                                                                        Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

gouldsom

The clunk ( and its a soft clunk ), could be coming from the pan area, its hard to tell.
Does not sound like a big end, its not RPH related, and its not constant, more like a pattern.
The Oil filter canister, has a spacer under the filter, which is often thrown away when the oil filter is changed as people don't know what it is, and what it is for, allowing a little bit of movement even though the spring is quite strong.
Another friend has suggested it may be a worn Wrist pin, I just worried that something may let go, and as its matching numbers engine I don't want to loose the block

76eldo

Just for the heck of it check the left side exhaust pipe and see if it's too close the the emergency brake linkage. That's sometimg I have encountered before on a 60.

Makes a periodic clunk.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

n2caddies

To check the filter concern you could remove the element to test that theory for a short time.
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

Bobby B

Richard,
First off, I would get myself a stethoscope. They really come in handy when trying to troubleshoot noises of any sort. If you can't come up with anything, try shorting the spark plugs, (one at a time to ground) to see if the noise changes in pitch or frequency. You seem to be bent on it being the oil filter, so why don't you just get in there first before we all try to diagnose what else it might be. Worn crank mains especially in the thrust area, can sometimes cause a dull thud from the crank being shifted forward/backward against the block area. Need to know what rpm/ speed range the noise occurs in, and is it more noticeable under load?
                                                                                      Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Smedly

check the exhaust pipe at the manifold to make sure the stud nuts are tight. I had an issue like this only I think mine sounded far more severe. when I placed a hydraulic jack under the y pipe and jacked it up just till there was pressure on it but not to crush the pipe the noise went away.
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

Bobby B

Now you have two things to check ( oil filter & exhaust ) before you rip the engine out….. ;D
                                                                                                         Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Grant Owen

Don't fear Richard I will be leaving Melborne tomorrow will catch up when I get Back  told you it would probably be the filter spacer.