News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

New to CLC. Another 6107

Started by straycad, March 07, 2015, 12:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

straycad

Hello all.  I wanted join for a while but was not sure what everyone would think of the mods I have done to my 47 5 passenger coupe.

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Richard,

Looks like it is a work in progress, and will really look nice when completed.

The bits of chrome really show off these cars.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Some people won't appreciate what you have done, but at least it is still being used, and enjoyed.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Smedly

Richard. Sweet lookin ride. I personally like the mods. How about some more info on what you have done, the future plan, where you are located etc.
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

Gene Beaird

A little too low for me, but yes, the chrome sets the car off nicely.

There is a Modified chapter, an I bet the guys there would love to see this one:

http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/forum/

Welcome!

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

59-in-pieces

Richard,
Nice ride and we could use more pics.
Yes there is the modified group, but take a look at the "Custom Schmustoms" post of one our our members efforts with a 39.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

las39

I don't mind modified cars, but what's with this new trend to make cars look like the have rusted suspension and has crashed over the wheels?
Wheel and fender radius just don't match.
1939 LaSalle 5027
1941 Chrysler Royal Coupe
1934 Oldsmobile F34
1976 Moto Guzzi Convert

Quentin Hall

There are so many factors that dictate why people modify Cadillacs. I've always preferred restored cars over modifiedcars which may seem odd as I am modifying my 39. When I first got into Caddies in the eighties everyone wanted hot pink 50s cars. I used to cringe at the array of violently ugly pinks on display at every get together. They had no class.
     That to me defines a Cadillac. Class. If you are modifying, the first rule is "does it have class?" Lose the class and you are missing the defining Cadillac characteristic.
      The other thing is trends. They come and go. 22inch wheels and hotrod airbags are currently the go. Dragging frame is at every show on every Chebby, Ford and Moppet.  The 47 sedanette has incredible aircraft inspired styling. Those wheels do nothing to add to the flow and style of the body. The wheels just become big shiny wheels, not contributors to the overall design.
        95% of guys at every car show will high five over your wheel choice. Me, I think, they are better suited to a 92 Chevy. Gotta keep the class. The sombrero was the most beautiful hubcap ever designed. Guess which caps I've put on my 39? Check out the early Barris customs. Guess which cap they put on Fords to give them a bit of class?
       I'll try and find a pic of a stylish modded 47.  Not meaning sound preachy or to put a damper on modifying, but it is an art form. More ugly mods than tasteful ones out there.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Quentin Hall

If you are customising a 40's Cad then it may serve well to learn a bit of history on 40's period Customs.
Here's a couple of 41s that have nice style and a consistent theme of execution. This is just my opinion. Take it with a grain of salt.
http://www.customcarchronicle.com/forums/topic/palle-johansens-1947-cadillac/
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

straycad

Gents, thank you for your Honest opinions.  I tend to agree that the wheels I have on this car are not ideal.  I would have gone with more of a spoke type with wide whitewalls, but money permitting, these were what I had in stock that fit the 5X5"pattern.  The car has air ride with a mustang 2 front, and 96 impala SS rear.  472 engine/ 400 trans.  The body is stock ,except for 1 inch widened rear fenders. I have all of the Chrome, minus the trunk handle surround. Seats are from a 93 Cadillac sport touring coupe. When the paint is finished, it will be done in 94 corvette cloisonne metallic.

Cadillac Slim

Welcome to the club & beautiful car.
I have cars kept original & cars that have been modified.  For me it really depends on the original condition of the car when purchased.  If we really want to get technical, a paint color change from its original color could be considered customizing.
I too have a 47 Series 61.  It was a field find that took me years to get.  I love this model because most folks think the car has been chopped since the B Pillars lean forward.  I plan on making it a mild custom, more in a traditional sense.  I chose 53 Caps & Pie Crust Bias Plys for the wheel selection & rebuilt the flathead to keep it ol skool.
Have fun & do watcha like!
1938 Lasalle - Sold
1940 Lasalle Conv. - Sold
1947 Series 61 Sedanette
1953 Coupe De Ville
1957 Coupe De Ville
1959 Series 62 2 Door
1960 Coupe De Ville
1964 Eldorado
1964 Coupe De Ville - Sold
1966 Coupe De Ville
1968 Conv. - Sold