News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Wrapping Molded Door Panels in Cars 1968 and Newer

Started by joeinbcs, March 11, 2015, 10:50:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeinbcs

I'm still trying to find some door panels for my '68 Eldorado (Maroon if possible)...but, watching some of the restoration programs on Velocity Channel made me wonder if the panels could be "wrapped" in either leather or vinyl?
Just wondering if anyone has tried this as a fix for worn or sun damaged panels as I have in my car?
Thanks, Joe
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
College Station, TX  77845
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

1967 Eldorado, Atlantis Blue Firemist (slick top), Blue leather.

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Jeez-- I was hoping someone would respond.  I am trying to figure out what to do with mine too. 
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

JoeKarasinski

Probably not cheap but I saw Just Dashes does them.

cadillactim

The problem with the 68 and up door panels is they are vacuum formed. The vinyl is pulled to shape by a vacuum process which can't be duplicated in a regular upholstery shop. The compound curves can't be made seamless without a vacuum process. Just Dashes uses the vacuum process, which is much more expensive.

Tim
Tim Groves

mgbeda

I've definitely seen it done.  It's pretty obvious it wasn't made that way.  If you're on a tight budget and your old panels are far gone it could be an improvement.

Usually the problem is cracks, lots of them.  You say worn and sun damaged... if the only problem with your door panels is the color you can get good results with carefully applied vinyl paint.  If it's done right and the color is correct that's fix that you can't see was fixed.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

joeinbcs

Thanks for the replies.  I sent Just Dashes a request for a quote to redo the doors.
Somebody already tried to repair them, and I don't think I'd be satisfied with a repair.
I think I need to either find a better pair, or have just dashes make some.
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
College Station, TX  77845
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

1967 Eldorado, Atlantis Blue Firemist (slick top), Blue leather.