News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Original tires from dealership/factory

Started by Tonyv_73, March 14, 2015, 01:02:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonyv_73

Can anyone tell me what kind of tire I'm looking at????
It looks like a period correct spare tire that's in my friends 1966 Cadillac fleetwood brougham, but I've never seen them before, doesn't anyone know what brand it is? Is it possible to get new ones? I wasn't able to look closely for a brand, hopefully this picture will explain itself, it's a double white wall with small square diamond between them going around. With also some "g" between them
1963 Series 62 Convertible
1965 Eldorado
1966 Calais Sedan
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1970 Wildcat
1970 Coupe Deville
1973 Eldorado Convertible
1974 Coupe Deville
1976 Coupe Deville
1981 Eldorado Biarritz
1985 Eldorado Commemorative Edition
1991 Brougham
1993 Eldorado 4.9
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
2006 XLR
2006 DTS
2014 XTS

jsanford

General Dual S 90 Sidewinder, this was the late 1960s version of the famous General Dual 90s which were a very popular aftermarket "upgraded" tire for Cadillacs in the 50s and 60s.

Jeremy
Jeremy
Sacramento, CA
1980 Seville
1981 Eldorado
2016 ELR

savemy67

Hello Anthony,

While General Tire is still in business (it is a subsidiary of Germany's Continental Tire), I don't think you will find new Sidewinders anywhere.  Your friend can decide to get new, bias-ply tires from a specialty supplier like Coker Tire, or get radial tires that look like bias-ply tires (again, from a specialty supplier), or get new radials from any tire dealer (Tire Rack, NTB, Firestone, Goodyear, etc.).  Which tire your friend chooses will be a function of what he intends to do with the car.  Will it be a show-car, or will it be a driver?  I would suggest keeping the Sidewinder as a spare tire.  It is an interesting artifact from your friends '66.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Classic

Another option might be Vogue Tyres:  http://www.voguetyre.com/  They used to be popular on Cadillacs.
Gene Menne
CLC #474

Rich S

Though I have not photographed it, my '71 Eldorado Convertible also has a dealer installed spare "upgrade" tire. It has a patterned white sidewall with a "Greek key pattern" that connects all the way around the perimeter. It is called a "Landau" tire. The original owner informed me that when she bought the car, the dealer exchanged all five factory tires. Interesting trivia!
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

Rich S

O.K.--I'll try to get a picture in the next few days!
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe