News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Rear parcel shelf switch-'55 Fleetwood

Started by CadillacFlashback, March 14, 2015, 12:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CadillacFlashback

I just noticed this switch today on my newly-acquired '55 Fleetwood.  It is on the rear parcel shelf just inboard of the driver's side A/C tube.  What is its function?  Is this a "master" A/C switch?

Scott Forman
'73 Eldo Pace Car festival car #12
'93 Allante (daily driver)
'11 CTS-V Coupe
'78 Seville Elegante
'52 Fleetwood 50th Anniversary
Some non-Caddy stuff too

J. Gomez

Scott,

The function of that switch is to operate the cables opening or closing the levers inside the rear air ducts. The “off” position will closed the levers, on the “air” allows A/C air to circulate inside the cabin, and the “on” position allows fresh air to enter via the two outside scoops. Or vice versa on the last two steps, I can’t recall for sure on the settings. :P

HTH
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I had air on my '56 Fleetwood with the ducting, and never noticed this switch. And my son never asked me... (He and my daughter occupied the back seat, and generally he was curious about such stuff.) We had this car long enough ago that it was our daily driver. Thanks for a new bit of knowledge. BW.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Jon S

So, if you were following a noxious truck, instead of being able to switch the selector to "recirculate," you had to pull off the road and jump in the back to turn the switch unless you had a rear seat passenger?
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

J. Gomez

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on March 14, 2015, 12:58:42 PM
I had air on my '56 Fleetwood with the ducting, and never noticed this switch. And my son never asked me... (He and my daughter occupied the back seat, and generally he was curious about such stuff.) We had this car long enough ago that it was our daily driver. Thanks for a new bit of knowledge. BW.

Barry,

You’re welcome…!

PS Don’t feel bad it only took me 3 month to figured out the red light on mine at the dash, until my wife noted there is a red light "on" once I had to trunk open.  :D
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

J. Gomez

Quote from: Jon S on March 14, 2015, 01:05:48 PM
So, if you were following a noxious truck, instead of being able to switch the selector to "recirculate," you had to pull off the road and jump in the back to turn the switch unless you had a rear seat passenger?

Jon,

It is more of a rear passenger convenience to turn the switch to outside air if no A/C was on, but yes if it is left open the driver would need to take the extra steps to shut it off.   ;D
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

David Greenburg

Love those Fleetwoods!  Its all about the rear seat passengers.  I guess the evolution of this was the rear vent windows in the 60's.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

55 cadi

David,  the 55 and others already have a rear vent widow with the regular rear window ( on 4 door cadi), with the ac/air switch on the back shelf, the switch was for was was already stated.

I believe the rear vent window was more for the "cigar" smokers in the rear, they can open the rear vent window to allow smoke out.

I say cigar because most all listings of the lighter in the rear state "cigar lighter"

Jason
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

walt chomosh #23510

Scott,
  My 1955 CDV has this A/C switch also. The owners manual says to open during the summer and close during the winter. I say that generally speaking(and this includes 2015 A/C cars!) that for max A/C,the valves should be closed for recirculation and max cooling. My road tests haven't proven a thing though. As far as fumes in the cabin,well,as long as the A/C fans are off(on the A/C control panel) there shouldn't be a problem.(no air circulating other then ram air into the A/C plentum) Practically ALL cars,any year,any model,have "normal" A/C and "max" A/C.....walt...tulsa,ok

David Greenburg

I was thinking of the rear power vent windows, which I've always thought were the ultimate decadence of this era. I agree they were there for the benefit of smokers.  If you were riding in the back of a Fleetwood you were more likely than the passengers in the rear of a Series 62 to be old enough to smoke!
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special