News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Solved!!! Won't run after going thru a huge puddle

Started by Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373, March 14, 2015, 10:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Friday the 13th.......
70 Deville.
Drove thru a Huge puddle last night and the engine cut out.  I had no choice as it rained much more than predicted.  I do not have the proper rubber baffling over the wheelwells, etc.  My fault.
Anyway, I was driving and hit the puddle.  Big one, one of those that grabbed the steering wheel.  Anyway, she started to cut out and then finally died.  Waited a bit for everything to dry out but it never did really run after that.  It will crank and really try to fire and sometimes start and run very roughly for a minute or so.  A couple of times she did start and run well and smoothly at about 2000 rpm and each time it just died as tho I turned off the switch. 
Had it towed to a safe haven and let it sit all night.  Came back and the same thing.  Inside the distributor cap is nice and dry.  We were not sure if it was a fuel or spark issue.  We have determined the carb is getting fuel.  It will not run even on starting fluid.  We have determined it has an intermittent spark and I think this is the problem. 
What would cause an intermittent spark?  Would going thru a puddle cause the coil to short?  What about the condenser?  When I get spark from the coil, it appears to be good quality.  But then there is nothing.  I have 12 volts going to the coil.  The points have not slipped an are opening and closing.  I know these are famous last words, but it was running quite well before this.
Ideas would be appreciated.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Jon S

I would take a good look at the rotor and the 8 "buttons" inside the distributor.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Yes
All looked good in there. All seeemed dry.
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

David Greenburg

Are you getting spark at the plugs? If not, "seemed dry" may not be good enough. I'd hit the inside of the cap, points,  rotor and ends of the plug wires with a heat gun, hair dryer or compressed air.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

The Tassie Devil(le)

Have you tried starting it up with the air cleaner removed?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Julien Abrahams

I also think that it will be a matter of drying. Remove distributor cap, and either leave it to dry on its own for a night or so (if the car is in a garage) and hit it with some WD-40. Do the same thing with the spark plug wires, especially the one that goes to the coil. Although unlikely, the water may have gotten into the intake.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

R Schroeder

Along with drying out the cap and wires, like everyone pointed out, I would be checking the wires down by the starter. You might have broken off one of them down there. Water is pretty powerful.
Roy

signart

Take a new dist. cap with you and install it. Save the old one for a "rainy day".
Art D. Woody

Scot Minesinger

Replace the condenser under the distributor cap, symptoms as you describe are same as bad condenser.

You may have replaced with electronic ignition, and then would suspect ignition is not dry.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

savemy67

Hello Jeff,

Following along David Greenburg's line of thought, check the recesses in the cylinder heads where the spark plugs screw into the head.  Remove the spark plug wires and blow the recess around the plugs dry with compressed air.  Also, dry the end of the plug wires.  If the issue was water/wet connections, the problem may resolve itself with a few days of evaporation.  As Roy Schroeder points out, there could be a mechanical disconnection so check those as well.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

James Landi

Roy mentioned a primary wire to coil from the starter... There is a circuit that ONLY connects 12 volts to the coil during the starting mode.  That wire works through the solenoid only during cranking.  If that wire is defective, you'll  get spark, but  you'll only get a weak spark... but not sufficiently " hot." All the other concerns expressed about weak spark are also possible as well-- bad condenser is especially hard to diagnose as you'll get spark not here again not hot. Did you engine back-fire at only point? 

Jon S

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on March 15, 2015, 01:31:04 AM
Have you tried starting it up with the air cleaner removed?

Bruce. >:D

NOT a good idea!  If it backfires, it could cause a fire!
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

TJ Hopland

I was thinking along the lines of James wondering if the resistor bypass from the starter possibly got damaged.   The draw of the starer plus the resistor would likely give you an erratic spark especially on an engine that is likely pretty well flooded by now.   Have you had the spark plugs out?   Maybe originally you did have wet wires or cap and that let things get flooded.  They may be pretty well soaked with fuel by now.   Leave em out overnight so the fuel in the cylinders can evaporate assuming its in a heated space.   If you have a block heater plug it in.   

Quick test for the possible starter wire issue would be run a jumper/ test wire from a good 12v source direct to the + side of the coil.   Remember you will have to remove this wire to get it to shut off and if you are going direct to the battery it won't be fused so don't let it get into the belts or the fan.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Jeff,
I would second Roy's suggestion that the water caused "impact" damage on the wiring at or near the starter, There is a short harness from the starter, and you may have knocked something loose.  I believe you just reinstalled this motor, so this harness may not have been tightly connected at the time. Just MHO.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Will keep everyone posted.  I thought about that wire from the starter having broken.  I was planning on taking a jumper wire down to hotwire the coil as TJ suggested. 
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

James Landi

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Well, it will just have to sit for a few days until I can get to it.  Didn't have an extra condensor on the shelf but had a set of unipoints.  Put them in but had trouble getting the dwell set.  Put the old ones back in.  Will get another condenser and throw it in.  Had my old coil and put it in, no change.  Will also bring down the jackstand and climb under it and check the wiring.  I know this happened when I hit water but it seems like a fuel issue.  It did run nicely yesterday for about a minute or so (actually ran on 7 cylinders because we had one plug disconnected checking for spark and she just started). Pulled the fuel line and it squirts when cranking but I admit I am not sure if it squirts enough.  I will throw another fuel filter in there as well. 
Anyway it will have to sit for a few days until I can get to it. 
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

Scot Minesinger

I second James's post, we are all routing for you!  Hope to see you in WI in June!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Will get it figured out. All it takes is time, money and a lot of brainpower................ Wait, what were we talking about again???
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

Jon S

Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT