News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

53 cadillac radio not working ...

Started by mooman929, March 15, 2015, 10:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mooman929

Hello I have a 53 cadillac series 62 and the radio doesn't seem to be functioning.  The illumination light works but other than that nothing.....what could be the issue and how to I pull the radio from the dash?

Julien Abrahams

Make sure it is not a speaker that has seen better days. This was the case in my '67. Radio appeared to be dead, when in fact it was the speaker.
Try to find the wires that goes to your speaker (under the dash). The electrical scheme in your shop manual will help. Then hook up a speaker that you know is good. Then try the radio again. Also, make sure that you give it some time to warm up (I think it takes a couple of seconds). If the radio comes on, then you know you've got a bad speaker. Also don't play the radio for too long using a 'modern' speaker, as the resistance of the newer speaker is most likely much lower (say around 4 ohms) than the radio likes (8-10 ohms). If you play the radio with the newer speaker for too long, you could fry your radio.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

mooman929

Does the car have to be rrunning for the radio to work?  This is a restore project so I don't know much how it works.  The needle on the radio doesn't move either.  It could very well be the speakers but I'm curious to know if the needle on the display should move as well

Philippe M. Ruel

The radio is supposed to work with contact on. No need to run the engine.

@Julien : early 1950s radios are HUGE shoeboxes including the front speaker. The wire only feeds the rear package tray speaker.

Not easy to remove, especially because the automatic antenna control involves vacuum lines - carefully note the line routing BEFORE removal.
1952 60 Special in France.

Quentin Hall

Make sure you have antenna connected. The needle should move when you turn the stations knob.  The vibrator is a common problem. We just had a 53 radio rebuilt by a Jukebox expert in Perth Western Australia. He did everything inside. Works and looks brand new.  I'll see if he can be of assistance. He did say that the 53 radio is a much better unit than the latter radios. Possibly because of the valves instead of transistors.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Jon S

Does it hum after 30 seconds?  If not, the vibrator is shot and without that, nothing works.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

mooman929

Yeah nothing is working.  Only the illumination light.  My antenna hoses are shot but was just curious if the radio should at least function regardless

druby

The radio is fairly easy to remove, not difficult, contrary to what has been said.
1949 Cadillac 4DR Sedan
1952 Cadillac Convertible
1953 Cadillac Coupe deVille
1958 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood

mooman929

rghobden

If the '53 is like my '50, here's how to remove the radio.  (#1) Pull the volume and station selector knobs off the shafts.  (#2) Remove the nuts and washers from the control shafts.  (#3) Remove both vent controls from the bottom edge of the dashboard to give you room to work.  (#4) Go under the dash and remove the radio's fuse which should be mounted near the speedometer cluster.  (#5) Remove the three rubber vacuum lines from the radio.  The middle one is the vacuum line coming from the engine and the other two go to the antenna; one sucks the antenna mast up and the other sucks the mast down, depending if you are pushing or pulling the volume control knob. (#6)  Unplug the antenna wire.  (#7) Disconnect the wire that feeds voltage to the dial light.  (#8) Disconnect the wires to the rear seat speaker if so equipped.  (#9) Remove the nut from the radio's supporting bracket.    That should do it.  The radio is a little heavy and awkward but can now be pulled out from under the dash.  It should be a 15 to 30 minute job but remember Murphy's law still applies to our Cadillacs. 

Good luck.  Russ Hobden #1235.
Russ Hobden, CLC #1235

mooman929

Quote from: rghobden on March 16, 2015, 10:52:43 PM
If the '53 is like my '50, here's how to remove the radio.  (#1) Pull the volume and station selector knobs off the shafts.  (#2) Remove the nuts and washers from the control shafts.  (#3) Remove both vent controls from the bottom edge of the dashboard to give you room to work.
(#4) Go under the dash and remove the radio's fuse which should be mounted near the speedometer cluster.  (#5) Remove the three rubber vacuum lines from the radio.  The middle one is the vacuum line coming from the engine and the other two go to the antenna; one sucks the antenna mast up and the other sucks the mast down, depending if you are pushing or pulling the volume control knob. (#6)  Unplug the antenna wire.  (#7) Disconnect the wire that feeds voltage to the dial light.  (#8) Disconnect the wires to the rear seat speaker if so equipped.  (#9) Remove the nut from the radio's supporting bracket.    That should do it.  The radio is a little heavy and awkward but can now be pulled out from under the dash.  It should be a 15 to 30 minute job but remember Murphy's law still applies to our Cadillacs. 

Good luck.  Russ Hobden #1235.

Thank you for the information!!

bcroe

It should be possible to feel or hear the vibrator running as soon as the radio is turned
on, no warm up there.  If not, it may have failed or contacts oxidized over from age, or
possibly someone put in a solid state vibrator.  Likely its possible to change this without
pulling the radio.  And don't forget the fuse. 

if a vibrator is running, next check the rectifier tube.  It might be a black metal tube,
0Z4 again possibly accessible because of high failure rate.  And see if any tubes are lit,
or check for current drain of several amps. 
good luck, Bruce Roe