News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

need some help on Brakes on 68 Calais

Started by STEVE CLC #16187, March 17, 2015, 11:28:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STEVE CLC #16187

I am trying to find a Master Cylinder and Power brake unit for a 1968 Cadillac Calais with front Disc Brakes. I can find the some at Rock Auto and Summit but the are showing the Master Cylinder with the lines attached to the left side of the Master Cylinder, setting in the drivers seat . My Master cylinder has the lines attached to the right side. In the 68 Cadillac service manual in shows a picture of  the Master Cylinder as a Bendix with tandem Disc with the line connections on the right side. The only place I can find a power booster and Master cylinder with the lines on the right side is at POL , performance brake on line the have a picture of this in their ebay store for $319.00. Also if I go to the Application 1968 Eldorado that picture shows the brake lines on the Right side looks like a Bendix. I need to get my brakes fixed so if anybody has experienced this problem , and I am hoping it is not just me AGAIN, I would appreciate hearing from you.Also how much stock do you put into those pictures of being right. I seems lin according to the service manual the drum brakes master cylinder attach the lines on the left side and w/disc on the right side. Any advise would be appreciated.

steve
steve hales
clc # 16187

Jon S

Call Rock Auto - Some of their Masters are "universal" e.g. have screw in plugs you place on left or right side to accommodate different applications.  You may have to remove the plugs from the right side and insert them on the left side.  Call them and see if that is the case.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Scot Minesinger

Try USA Parts, that is where I got mine for a 1970 which has the brake lines attaching on driver side of master cylinder. 

The Eldorado and RWD Cadillacs used different master cylinders from 1967 thru 1970.  The Eldorado was standard with disc brakes in 1968, and the RWD Caddys were not - so probably many more Eldo MC's than RWD in 68.  Front disc brakes became standard in 1969 on all Cadillacs (fairly certain).  It may be an Eldorado master cylinder. 

Rockauto sometimes has wrong parts, try and buy a 1967-72 Eldorado front engine mount from Rockauto, it will be a RWD and wrong, as they are only available as restored.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

STEVE CLC #16187

I just Called Rock Auto and I got a recording that said to use their web page catalog to order parts and their parts people have no technical knowledge so don't ask. Scot, I will try USA Parts This Calais Came from the factory with front Disc brakes . Thanks for the information.

steve
steve hales
clc # 16187

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Steve,
I have to ask... why don't you get your units rebuilt???
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Alan Harris CLC#1513

What he said!

You would be far better off with your original pieces properly rebuilt than new ones of dubious pedigree.

A lot of the stuff around today is Chinese crap. Be afraid!