News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Trailer hitch for 1947 model?

Started by MartinC, March 17, 2015, 03:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartinC

Hello,

Looking for links, photo's, & advice. I need a rear hitch on my '47 60S. It only needs to tow a very lightweight trailer.

Are they available? I would have thought a home-made could be made to fit the bumper mountings.

MartinC

I've just discovered those type that clamp onto the bumper, never seen them before!

WHat sort of weight will they take?

Bill Ingler #7799

In the late 40s I remember my father wanting to haul a small car on a trailer behind a 48 Olds. The hitch was designed so that the pulling part of the hitch was tied into the rear axle and the tongue weight of the trailer, including the ball, was bolted to the rear cross member of the frame. I would not want to use a hitch that only clamps to the rear bumper as I would be concerned with pulling as well as trailer tongue weight causing bending of the bumper. I would think that any hitch you used today for your 47 Cadillac would need to be custom fabricated.  Make sure your old car insurance is still valid with towing a trailer.    Bill

Sweetsally

Quote from: MartinC on March 17, 2015, 03:33:28 PM
Hello,

Looking for links, photo's, & advice. I need a rear hitch on my '47 60S. It only needs to tow a very lightweight trailer.

Are they available? I would have thought a home-made could be made to fit the bumper mountings.

I don't think they make a hitch specifically for your vehicle. I think you might need to either fabricate one or get someone else to do it. If you know someone who welds you could always get a hitch box and weld that on. I found a link to a website that carries them called Hitchweb: http://www.hitchweb.com/category/TA-B-3-1/Receiver-Extensions
The other thing you might be able to do is to get a bumper hitch. Hitchweb also carries these hitches: http://www.hitchweb.com/category/TA-B-3-8/Bumper-Hitches

Hope this helps!

Smedly

I would be interested in a pic as well. I eventually want to pull a small trailer for my Harley behind my 46.
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Smedly on March 21, 2015, 09:18:04 AM
I eventually want to pull a small trailer for my Harley behind my 46.
It's not what I would say a very lightweight trailer!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Smedly

I did not say very light< I said small >:D It would be around 1200lbs. with very minimal tough weight maybe 50-75lbs.
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay