News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Bought my first Cadillac today.

Started by Nashville Native, March 18, 2015, 08:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nashville Native

After years of thinking about it, months of surfing the 'Bay and the 'list, and weeks of actually going out to look at cars, I finally bought my first big ol' Caddy: A '73 Calais sedan.

I looked at a few Coupe de Villes that weren't as advertised. Rust, filler, major fluid leaks, sketchy wiring, all the usual horror stories. This car may not be a desirable model (or color), but it's very straight and solid, plus runs and drives like a Cadillac should. It's been in the same family since new, I bought it from the great-grandson. He had taken great care of it (new radiator and hoses, Coker tires, etc.), but he needed the money for his business and wanted it to go to a good home. Now I've got start looking for the little things like the headlight retaining clips, the filler panels under the headlights, wiper refills, getting the original radio rebuilt, and the A/C system refurbished. Then I'll start trying to bring the paint back. I'm really looking forward to hitting the cruise-ins this summer.

- C. Nicholson
1973 Calais sedan http://bit.ly/1Qf0Bta RIP

Walter Youshock

Congratulations.   It's all downhill from here!

I always say Cadillacs are like potato chips--can't have just one!

Great color and a Calais is a rare model.

Welcome!
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Blade

Congratulations!

You made a good choice as they are reliable cars with smooth ride with the 472 under the hood. The green color just represents the era it's from, makes it look 'classy'. That was the same car/same year I also had back in the early 90s as my first Cadillac except I had the Sedan DeVille. Mine was kind of a light brown with dark brown vinyl top (polka dotted with rust ALL OVER ... LOL) but never had any problems with it, kept going like the energizer bunny.

Like Walter pointed it out you just get addicted to this hobby.  :)

Rich S

Congratulations! The Calais Series cars are lower production and just as classy as other vintage Cadillacs--"good design never goes out of style!" The color will clean-up and shine and look great! Best of luck in your endeavors in your classic Caddy!
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

Davidrubin

C.R. Patton II

Hello

Gratulantur on your acquisition. Nice Cadillac.

Please go to our home page to join our CLC National organization and a region near your residence to fully enjoy the benefits of membership.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

76eldo

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the CLC message board.

That's a great looking car and rare to find one in such nice shape.  I'd recommend getting a shop manual and an owners manual if you don't already have one.

Any questions that come up can be answered here. You will find lots of people here that are willing to share their knowledge and provide info if you need it.

Enjoy your new old car!

Brian

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Caddyjack

Excellent! Congratulations and welcome to the insanity.  ;D
Jack Larson
Philadelphia, PA

Nashville Native

Thanks everyone!

Walter, I'm apprehensive that you are right. ;) There were a couple of times when I owned three Corvairs at once. Cadillacs take up a bit more room though. :D

Mr. Patton, I've signed up through the website, and contacted my local chapter. They meet on a Sunday when I'm usually at work, but I hope to connect at an event soon.

Brian, I'll be on the lookout for the books (we might have them at work). I'm also curious as to where to look for classic Cadillac parts.

I still dream of a '67/'68 Coupe de Ville, but I'll have to work my way up to that. And maybe a '67-or-later Eldorado. And then...

Again, thank you everyone!

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Congrats.  Keep posting your updates.  You will smile everytime you drive it.
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Appears to be a solid citizen with excellent credentials.

Congratulations on your find & welcome to the Cadillac & LaSalle Club.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

jock82

Congratulations, the 73 is one of my favorite Cadillacs from the 70's.  It is a beautiful car.  I love the four door cars. 

Guy Moore
CLC #12650

1989 Sedan de Ville
1994 Concours
2009 DTS'
1976 Olds 98 Regency

Guy Moore CLC# 12650

31caddy

Congratulations! Great car. I really like the color. My wife drives a 2007 Cadillac DTS "Green Silk" color, and I have a 66 corvette "Mosport Green." Both of theses colors are similar to yours. I think you will find that you get lots of compliments on the color, particularly from women.  :D
R. Rowland CLC #28971

1931 Model 355A Sedan (Recently sold)
1931 Model 355A Fleetwood 4535 Convertible Coupe
2005 Cadillac XLR

35-709

"Brian, I'll be on the lookout for the books (we might have them at work). I'm also curious as to where to look for classic Cadillac parts."

The 1973 Cadillac Shop Manual, the Owner's Manual, and the Fisher Body Manual are all readily available on eBay Motors.  The Cadillac Shop manual is a must to have and an invaluable source of service and repair information.

A bargain at thrice the price ---
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Cadillac-Factory-shop-Manual-/400872741830?hash=item5d55e09bc6&vxp=mtr

The Fisher Body Manual ---
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-CHEVY-CADILLAC-OLDSMOBILE-PONTIAC-BUICK-BODY-SHOP-MANUAL-FIREBIRD-CAMARO-SS-/381197466501?hash=item58c123bb85&vxp=mtr

One of several owner's manuals ---
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Cadillac-Auto-Owners-Manual-OEM-VG-Condition-/251796257814?hash=item3aa039fc16&vxp=mtr
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Tonyv_73

Hey just wondering what options does the car have? Personally I like to find out what people found "important" when buying a caddy back then. My boss told me he had a 65/66 Calais (can't remember year) that had roll down windows. That to me is taboo in the Cadillac world. But as it was it would have been a rare care today. Keep in mind though "rare" is a term thrown around today, just because there arent a lot out there doesn't mean it's a high dollar car, my dad has a 66 Calais sedan that was a beautiful all original car, since it's not really worth much we decided to do some small modifications to it to bing more value to it if we ever wanted to sell it. You know what they say, To each his own
1963 Series 62 Convertible
1965 Eldorado
1966 Calais Sedan
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1970 Wildcat
1970 Coupe Deville
1973 Eldorado Convertible
1974 Coupe Deville
1976 Coupe Deville
1981 Eldorado Biarritz
1985 Eldorado Commemorative Edition
1991 Brougham
1993 Eldorado 4.9
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
2006 XLR
2006 DTS
2014 XTS

mgbeda

Looks like you got a great car!  I too like the look of the '73's.  You will love driving it.  And the slick top is a big advantage because they always rust under the vinyl tops, even in the desert.

Does your driver's door close easily?  If not look at getting rebuilt hinges and a new door latch striker.  Otherwise you might spend years fiddling with alignment and never get it to work right.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

Tonyv_73

Since the car has no vinyl top, I'd consider getting one installed, then at least you'll know there's no rust underneath it. Maybe a white or a green one. And at that point you might as well install a sunroof, I found an complete original Cadillac sunroof assembled on Craigslist a while back that someone removed. That will really dress up the car
1963 Series 62 Convertible
1965 Eldorado
1966 Calais Sedan
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1970 Wildcat
1970 Coupe Deville
1973 Eldorado Convertible
1974 Coupe Deville
1976 Coupe Deville
1981 Eldorado Biarritz
1985 Eldorado Commemorative Edition
1991 Brougham
1993 Eldorado 4.9
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
2006 XLR
2006 DTS
2014 XTS

Nashville Native

Quote from: Tonyv_73 on March 20, 2015, 03:10:13 PM
Hey just wondering what options does the car have? Personally I like to find out what people found "important" when buying a caddy back then. My boss told me he had a 65/66 Calais (can't remember year) that had roll down windows. That to me is taboo in the Cadillac world. But as it was it would have been a rare care today. Keep in mind though "rare" is a term thrown around today, just because there arent a lot out there doesn't mean it's a high dollar car, my dad has a 66 Calais sedan that was a beautiful all original car, since it's not really worth much we decided to do some small modifications to it to bing more value to it if we ever wanted to sell it. You know what they say, To each his own
I think it has everything but the tilt steering column. Climate control, headlight sentinel, the nicer radio...

Nashville Native

Quote from: mgbeda on March 20, 2015, 07:54:55 PM
Looks like you got a great car!  I too like the look of the '73's.  You will love driving it.  And the slick top is a big advantage because they always rust under the vinyl tops, even in the desert.

Does your driver's door close easily?  If not look at getting rebuilt hinges and a new door latch striker.  Otherwise you might spend years fiddling with alignment and never get it to work right.

-mB
Thanks! It seems to shut fine, but this is my first Caddy and I'm still getting used to it. Thanks for the tip.

Nashville Native

Quote from: 35-709 on March 19, 2015, 07:08:25 PM
"Brian, I'll be on the lookout for the books (we might have them at work). I'm also curious as to where to look for classic Cadillac parts."

The 1973 Cadillac Shop Manual, the Owner's Manual, and the Fisher Body Manual are all readily available on eBay Motors.  The Cadillac Shop manual is a must to have and an invaluable source of service and repair information.

A bargain at thrice the price ---
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Cadillac-Factory-shop-Manual-/400872741830?hash=item5d55e09bc6&vxp=mtr

The Fisher Body Manual ---
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-CHEVY-CADILLAC-OLDSMOBILE-PONTIAC-BUICK-BODY-SHOP-MANUAL-FIREBIRD-CAMARO-SS-/381197466501?hash=item58c123bb85&vxp=mtr

One of several owner's manuals ---
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Cadillac-Auto-Owners-Manual-OEM-VG-Condition-/251796257814?hash=item3aa039fc16&vxp=mtr
Awesome resources Brian, thanks!