News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'79 Fleetwood

Started by Barry M Wheeler #2189, March 19, 2015, 02:13:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I took Gay's '79 Fleetwood to the radiator shop yesterday. It had been having a slow leak all summer and I wanted to get it nailed down. It turned out to be a leaking thermostat. They fixed it this morning and I was a little concerned as when I took it to the shop, I was getting ice cold A/C.

On the way home, I still wasn't getting heat, so I sat in front of the garage for a time and ran the knob back and forth a few times. Evidently this freed up the system as I started getting heat. Oh, the glory of having a car that you move a control and it works as it should. Gay is constantly complaining of cold legs in our ATS. It never seems to stay the same.

We had a '15 ATS CUE to drive home Monday as we had recall work at the dealership. Slightly better, but I hate when everything goes back to default settings. And the radio, when set on our local PBS station played no classical music at all. So I don't know what it was picking up. Not the station I set it on, that's for sure.

Guys, if you want a previous model to drive, get a '77, 78, or 79. These are Cadillacs in every sense of the word.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Barry,

It sounds like you've stolen a page from my own songbook.  ;D

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I was looking for a car for my wife, including new Oldsmobile Cutlasses. We found a 1979 SDV d'Elegance in a local dealer's lot. It was the Cedar Firemist with the plush seats. We had not even pulled out of the lot into traffic, and I think I said something about checking out the new Olds again, but she simply said, "This is my car." She became "famous" with the county deputies driving back and forth to the county seat to work.

We drove it for some seven years and I parked it in my "Cadillac Row." I went to work selling cars at the Cadillac dealer and one of the sales ladies had a brother who needed a car. I said, you can have my wife's Cadillac for $700. He agreed, sight unseen. I went out back, it started right up, and all the way to the small town he lived in, I was regretting selling it, as tattered as it was getting.

Not too long after that, I picked up a CDV in the same Dark Cedar that we have now. I drove it one summer and then put it on the lot to sell, and got a whopping price for it for the time. They are simply well made cars, the way a car manufacturer should produce them.

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I was 13 when the '77 Cadillac came out and to tell the truth, I didn't think much of them at first. That was until father came home in a Madiera Maroon '77 Brougham w/ Claret leather and all that changed forever.

A DeVille d'Elegance is every bit as luxurious as a standard Fleetwood, IMO, maybe even more so. I could never understand why so few were sold. The extra $650 or so seems like a relatively small beer for higher level of luxury you received.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute