News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1950 series 62 turn signal switch

Started by Cymz@sbcglobal.net, March 22, 2015, 08:00:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cymz@sbcglobal.net

The turn signals are not operable on my " new" 50 series 62.  I have no idea where the switch is located or where to start testing. Is there a source for a newcturn signal switch if I need one?  Thanks in advance

Julien Abrahams

First of: I strongly suggest to get a shop manual. Other than that, start with the simple things first: check the bulbs. Although unlikely, it might be that they are kaput. Check if they are any obvious problems with regard to the wiring going to/coming from the steering column (for example loose/broken wires). Check the fuses. Those are the relatively simple first steps. If you're lucky, you find and can fix the problem. Otherwise you have to start digging deeper. I'm sure other guys on here will chip in as well. Good luck.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

Barry M Wheeler #2189

First of all, in case you are missing parts, the turn signal lever is located on the left side of the steering column under the steering wheel. In looking at it, you should see a screw hole for the lever to attach to the column. The mechanism is underneath the steering wheel. How to get into that part of the car should be covered in a shop manual. However, it may be that your lever is missing and the rest may be operable. Check where I have mentioned and see if you can see a "hole" where a screw might go. Good luck.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

curly

I have the same car as you.  Start your testing at the fuse. There is an in line fuse that feeds the T/S flasher and brake lights.  If you have brake lights, the fuse is good. If you don't have brake lights, the problem could be the fuse, flasher unit or  T/S switch. The flasher has 3 wires, power in, brake light power (goes to T/S switch) and T/S power.  In my case the problem was in the switch, under the steering wheel. I wound up pulling the wheel so I could remove the switch. The problem for me was  broken solder joint on the right T/S side of the switch.  I soldered in all new wires and I'm good to go.  ;D
If you have to remove the switch, you will have to fish the wires up through the column. Not hard to do, but be sure to tie something to the wires as you remove them so you can use it to pull the wires back through.

As mentioned, the Shop manual is a big help.  I bought the DVD version off of ebay.  It was a good investment.

T Lewis

reds

Hey guys im new here and trying hard to figure this out but im working on a 50 4 door and im installing a new wire harness and I am trying to wire up the column. The original wires was already gone. All that is lefy is 2 groups of 3 and a lone black wire.if I could figure what wire is what I can finish this.any and all help is much appreciated thanks