News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Will it work? Original radio, more modern speaker with extra resistor

Started by Julien Abrahams, March 22, 2015, 08:28:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julien Abrahams

Hey guys, my original radio works, but the original speaker is dead. I have a good speaker lying around (which I presume will fit). However, if I'm not mistaking, these old radios were built to work with speakers that have a resistance of 8-10 Ohms. The speaker I have has a resistance of 4 Ohms. Will it work if I put an extra resistor (say 5 Ohms) between the radio and the speaker? Was wondering if this will work and make it a small project over the summer.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

J. Gomez

Julien,

Not to go into a complicated mumble jumble technical answer on impedance matching, etc., the simpler answer is;

Adding a 4 ohm resistor in series with the speaker would provide the 8 ohm across the radio output. One note, there would be a loss of sound quality, but it should be fine if you keep the volume in the low range.

The resistor would need to be about 4-5 ohms and would need to be a high power 10W should be fine or higher if the radio amp rate is more than 10W.

One alternative if you want to keep the sound is to hook up two 4 ohm speakers in series that would split power between both, again this is just an option if you have two speakers and if both can be installed.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

TJ Hopland

Is this in your 67?     I don't know the details of the specific radio/amp but in general using a resistor in series would work.   So 4 ohm speaker and a 4 ohm resistor with adequate power capacity in series with the speaker would look like 8 ohms to the amp.   Series would be radio + to speaker +.  Speaker - to resistor.  resistor to radio -.   

Down side is the resistor will be consuming as much of the power as the speaker.    Guessing a stock radio to be maybe 5 watts so you would want a 5 watt resistor.  This means you will be down to 2.5 watts for the speaker.   If its a older speaker they tended to be efficient because amps were expensive so it should still be able to get to a reasonable level.    In the 80's amps got bigger and cheaper so the speakers got less efficient.   If you have the specs for the speaker sensitivity is the one that tells you how loud it will be with how much power.  Car audio and a lot of other consumer audio is often missing that spec and on 'pro' gear they play games with how they measure that.

Other option would be to run it direct which would put a heavier load on the amp.  This extra load may or may not be more stressful than doubling the load with the resistor.    Doubling is twice the load but still at what we assume is the rated impedance (ohms) so it will have to work hard but should survive.   Maybe running direct you would be pushing it less because of the reduced load but depending on the actual amp design is if that will stress it more because of the lower than rated impedance. 

With tube amps the risk is in burning out the output transformers which I don't believe are reproduced and are too complicated for a DIY person to repair or rebuild.    With solid state it would usually be the output transistors which are pretty much in the same boat as the output transformers.   The technology has changed enough now that the older devices are no longer made.    Any amplifier that is more than about 10-15 years old is likely suffering anyway because of aged electrolytic capacitors to some degree.   Those overall tend to be available so someone that knows what they are doing can replace them.  Some may not be physically the same as originals but function wise they can usually be duplicated.       
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Julien Abrahams

Yes, this is my '67. I am certainly not an expert with regard to electronics. Learning as I go along. To prevent frying my radio, I'm asking all the help I can get :).
1954 Cadillac series 62
1979 Opel Kadett

bcroe

Quote from: Julien Abrahams on March 22, 2015, 08:28:50 AM
Hey guys, my original radio works, but the original speaker is dead. I have a good speaker lying around (which I presume will fit). However, if I'm not mistaking, these old radios were built to work with speakers that have a resistance of 8-10 Ohms. The speaker I have has a resistance of 4 Ohms. Will it work if I put an extra resistor (say 5 Ohms) between the radio and the speaker? Was wondering if this will work and make it a small project over the summer. 

A good fix is to get a line to voice coil transformer, with taps for 4 and 8 ohm speakers.  Insulate
the line wires; connect the radio to the 8 ohm and the speaker to the 4 ohm tap.  The return wire
will be common to the radio, transformer, and speaker.  Bruce Roe

Julien Abrahams

Well, first I want to see if I can find out why the speaker does not work anymore (probably not, but hey, its a nice Sunday 'project'). I've read on other forums that it is a bad idea to use an external resistor as the resistance of the speaker varies with regard to the response frequency. Another option is to wire two 4 Ohm speakers in series. Then the total resistance is also 8 ohms, and it should be good to go. Just need to figure out a way to do this without cutting holes in dash or door panels (as I think that ruins the car). Thanks for the suggestions.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1979 Opel Kadett

n2caddies

Why not have the original speaker reconed? There are vendors In Hemmings that offer this service. If you are keeping the original radio it may make the most sense. JMHO.
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

76eldo

I have not had to buy a radio speaker for a long time but is an 8 ohm speaker that hard to find?

When I'm looking for solution to something like this I usually do a google search or search on YouTube.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Julien Abrahams

It is not that hard to find these speakers. The only problem is that I am wondering if I want to spend over $100,- for a brand new speaker for those few occasions in which I listen to the original AM radio. I just think it would be cool if it would work, especially the signal seeking feature is a neat trick. As I have fixed the power antenna, it would be cool if I could get the old radio fully operational. As other projects are taking op some time now, I'll postpone this fun project for later. Thanks for the tips though. :).
1954 Cadillac series 62
1979 Opel Kadett

Andrew Trout

Quote from: n2caddies on March 24, 2015, 08:16:49 AM
Why not have the original speaker reconed? There are vendors In Hemmings that offer this service. If you are keeping the original radio it may make the most sense. JMHO.
Randy

My Dad and I had the radio and speaker out of his '61 convertible reconditioned. We went with Precision Stereo Repair. They're in Utica, NY. https://plus.google.com/115109975884684820572/about?gl=us&hl=en

You can read about their operation on the Hemming's website as well: https://plus.google.com/115109975884684820572/about?gl=us&hl=en

They reconditioned the radio, and also added an auxiliary input so we can plug in an iPhone. The cord is long enough that we can hide it inside the dashboard and have the jack in the glove compartment. 
Rochester, NY
1961 Convertible

mgbeda

I have done this in the past.  It "works", i.e. you get sound and you don't blow up the radio.  But the volume level goes way down.  T J has now explained to me why that happens.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)