News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Soundproofing

Started by waterzap, March 25, 2015, 04:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterzap

The carpets in my Eldorado is still pretty good. However the soundproofing under the carpets I think can use replacement. Anyone have a good formula ?
There are so many things they sell. Jute, Dynamat, R Blox. What do I put where?
Leesburg, AL

David Greenburg

You can go crazy trying to sort out all the options. I spent far too much time doing that recently and decided on Raam mat (raamaudio.com).  It's a two stage product; first is a self-adhesive foil layer called BXT, and second is a thin foam layer called something like ensolite.  It was cheaper than many of the others and seemed to perform as well or better.  I've been very happy with it. No weird smells or slippage, as has been reported with some of these products.  I installed it last year on flora and rear quarter sides.  This year I needed to reopen the rear quarter sides to remove some trim for paintwork, and I can attest that this stuff does not move.  It was a battle to remove it to get access to bolts etc.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Smelvis

I used the foil and rubber self adhesive stuff from Home Depot that they sell to wrap ducts. It was super easy to install and seems fine. Of course I have a convertible so it always noisy. I was more concerned about heat.

waterzap

I'm worried about things like Dynamat that can trap moisture.  Could that happen?
Leesburg, AL

David Greenburg

Heat is a different story. Rammat is not particularly good for blocking heat. I used double foil sided Thermo Tech mat on the firewall. Not self adhesive, but still pretty easy to work with. As for moisture, the adhesive on the self adhesive stuff is very dense; I doubt it would trap moisture.  People seem happy with Dynamat,but I thought it wa too expensive.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

55 cadi

I am doing right now and I am using the foil with sticky back from hardware store (I've seen shops use that foil instead of more expensive types that are the same thing) to block heat and to deaden the metal sound, and then jute over that for insulation during cold and sound deadening, on the floor board and the doors.

Jason
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

Joe V

When installing, using the hand roller to eliminate the air pockets pretty much takes care of the moisture problem. The surface needs to be a good quality final painted finish. Think about the future restoration plans for your car.  If you have plans that will require removal of the dynamat and dynamat-like products they are a pain to remove when properly installed. Lots of videos online showing how hard it is. 

Ignoring the brand names there are two types of the stick on foil sound/heat deadeners. They are not all the same. There are brands made by roofing companies (cheaper) repackaged for automotive purposes that are made with an asphalt based adhesive and ones made with a butyl adhesive. Lots of people complain that the asphalt smell can last a while after installation or that it comes back when the car sits in the sun. Especially with closed cars.  This is a one time, last a long, time job so consider spending a little more and go with butyl. Generally the thicker the material the more sound/heat/vibration suppression.

For installation, avoid small pieces but take care to wrap and fully stick material around curves and floor transitions.  Try to keep material joints off floor transitions and joints.  Clean the floor well before installation and use the roller so all surfaces are fully attached to the floor. Rug with backing can go right over the foil. 

55 cadi

I agree with Joe,

I started with the home store construction material and realized that it is an asphalt and with a smell, knowing how hot it will get where I live it would surely bring up the smell again.

So I went and bought the regular sticky backing foil at a car swap meet this past weekend, no smell!

Jason
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville